[comp.unix.ultrix] Cant get mbufs

john@accord.cc.iastate.edu (Hascall John Paul) (01/11/91)

We have a machine which frequently hangs with "cant get mbufs"
splattered all over the console.  I am way out of my league
here, any clues or pointers will be much appreciated.  The machine
is a DECstation 5000/200CX with 24 MB memory, 8 RZ57s and a TLZ08.

Here is a vmstat, for what it's worth (I note that the Total
Allocated number just keeps growing, it was ~ 800 KB right
after booting, is there some upper limit?)

Many thanks,
John Hascall     john@iastate.edu
john@fs-1> vmstat -K
            :
            :
Total Allocated = 2000 KB; Total Free = 617 KB
Memory Usage: Type and Number
      MBUF   477    DEVBUF     1       PCB    88    ZOMBIE     1
      TEMP    10     MOUNT    10       NFS   358      CRED     5
       RPC  2124      RMAP     1    SOCKET    59    RTABLE     4
    IFADDR     2    SONAME     1   CLUSTER   173   X_DADDR    25
--
John Hascall                        An ill-chosen word is the fool's messenger.
Project Vincent

rcmart@rwb.urc.tue.nl (Mart Mennen) (06/03/91)

Since a few days we have a very nasty problem on our DECsystem 5400,
which runs under Ultrix 4.0.
After a timeperiod of about 7 hours the system reports "cant get mbufs"
on the console and then the system hangs!
Nothing interesting is found in errorlogs and syslogs. We also checked
for ethernetproblems as this system has a lot of NFS-clients, but untill
now we have not encountered strange things in that area.

Is there anyone who has suffered from this same problem or has any
suggestions for solving the problem?

Thanks for your time.
--
Mart Mennen, Eindhoven University of Technology
Computing Centre 1.99,  +31 40 472164

farrell@pangea.Stanford.EDU (Phil Farrell) (06/04/91)

In article <rcmart.675956786@rwb.urc.tue.nl> rcmart@urc.tue.nl writes:

>Since a few days we have a very nasty problem on our DECsystem 5400,
>which runs under Ultrix 4.0.
>After a timeperiod of about 7 hours the system reports "cant get mbufs"
>on the console and then the system hangs!

"mbufs" are the memory areas used to queue incoming and outgoing ethernet
packets.  You can see how many are in use with "vmstat -K".  The number
allocated by the system is a function of the "physmem" and "maxusers"
kernel configuration parameters.  Perhaps your network load is simply
too great for the values you have configured into your kernel.  You could
try increasing either or both of these parameters and building a new
kernel.  By the way, DEC lore (that is, what the support engineers tell
you, not what the documentation says) is that the "physmem" parameter
on RISC systems should not be set equal to the actual amount of physical
memory, but rather to at least 125% of actual memory in order to properly
size system tables, particularly the PTEs that map between physical and
virtual memory.  On the other hand, you may be seeing a pathological
condition where mbufs are not being properly freed.  I can't help you
with that possibility and have my doubts that DEC can either.

-Phil Farrell, Computer Systems Manager
Stanford University School of Earth Sciences
farrell@pangea.stanford.edu