[comp.unix.ultrix] Threads/Lightweight Processes

wmsc@aurs01.uucp (Collins Williams) (06/07/91)

Hi there!

  I'm looking for a package that implements or allows one to implement
threads or lightweight processes under Ultrix.  What I mean by
lightweight processes is a group of independently scheduled streams of
execution each with its own stack but operating in the same address
space.  If anyone out there knows of the availability of something
like this or has any pointers I would appreciate hearing from them.
If this is not a ridiculously frequently asked question and people
indicate an interest I will eventually post a summary.

    Thanks for your time

  Collins Williams

fkittred@bbn.com (Fletcher Kittredge) (06/07/91)

In article <59906@aurs01.UUCP> wmsc@aurs01.uucp (Collins Williams) writes:
>Hi there!
>
>  I'm looking for a package that implements or allows one to implement
>threads or lightweight processes under Ultrix.  What I mean by
>lightweight processes is a group of independently scheduled streams of
>execution each with its own stack but operating in the same address
>space.  If anyone out there knows of the availability of something
>like this or has any pointers I would appreciate hearing from them.
>If this is not a ridiculously frequently asked question and people
>indicate an interest I will eventually post a summary.
>
>    Thanks for your time
>
>  Collins Williams

The Ultrix/OSF-1 merge due out soon will include a native implementation
of POSIX 1003.4b draft 4 threads (commonly called pthreads).  I am using
the developers kit for the above to post this message.  The pthreads
implementation seems solid.

regards,
fletcher

Fletcher Kittredge
BBN Software Products
150 CambridgePark Dr,  Cambridge, MA. 02140
617-873-3465  /  fkittred@bbn.com  /  fkittred@das.harvard.edu