[comp.unix.ultrix] "Ether_listen" for Risc Ultrix?

cookc@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Chris Cook) (06/10/91)

We've just got hold of the Ether_listen utility for VMS.  Has anyone got
something similar to monitor the ethernet from a Risc Ultrix 5830, 5500 or
even 5100 or a DECStation?

	Thanks in advance,

		Chris Cook - Postmaster

Bitnet/Earn: Cookc@Cardiff.ac.uk

In article <1991Jun10.152247.12349@cm.cf.ac.uk> cookc@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Chris Cook) writes:
> We've just got hold of the Ether_listen utility for VMS.  Has anyone got
> something similar to monitor the ethernet from a Risc Ultrix 5830, 5500 or
> even 5100 or a DECStation?

As of release 4.2, Ultrix includes a version of tcpdump in the unsupported
subsets.  This is probably similar to what your Ether_listen does.  It is
possible to run tcpdump on earlier 4.x versions, but there are compromises
involved.  Note that Sun workstations also include a similar program called
etherfind and there is a version of tcpdump that work there also.  If is
often advantageous to have a "third party" doing the monitoring, not one of
the host systems.