[comp.unix.ultrix] ARGH!!! 4.2

In article <1991Jun07.041938.29796@decuac.dec.com> avolio@decuac.dec.com writes:
> Shoot.  Shoot.  Shoot.
>
> Yeah, the Customer Support Center just reported this as a problem.  I'll
> pass on details as I get them (unless I get slapped down) but I believe
> that someone screwed up and the RISC tapes have VAX bits.  George is
> right-on and I doubt if this is an isolated case... we'll see.

Based on E-mail comments I've received and a second distribution kit(*) that
came today, it looks like only some batches of tapes may have been confused
and not the whole thing.

The bad tape is labeled:

AQ-PCV6C-BE	MB0118
Ultrix AND UWS V.42 (RISC)
Mandatory Upgrade

The good tape is labeled:

AQ-PCV6C-BE	MB0545
Ultrix AND UWS V.42 (RISC)
Mandatory Upgrade

To verify that you have a usable tape before getting halfway though the
installation process, do something like:

mt fsf 3; tar tv

and make sure that the files listed have UDT and UDW prefixes and not
ULT and UWS prefixes.

I don't know what the most expeditious procedure is for replacing
incorrect/corrupt distribution media, perhaps Fred will be able to
comment.

(*) we seem to get two sets of media/doc because we had separate Ultrix and
    UWS systems / software service contracts.  Now it's all the same, but I
    haven't gotten around to doing anything about it yet.

chad@oscar.cs.byu.edu (Chad) (06/11/91)

--

We also just got the 4.2 stuff (VAX and RISC).  While trying to use RIS
to load the subsets onto a host machine I seem to have run into a

thanks

Chad Leigh
Brigham Young University / on leave from DEC
chad@yvax.byu.edu /  chad@norge.enet.dec.com

In article <1991Jun10.183232.18766@hamblin.math.byu.edu> chad@yvax.byu.edu writes:
> --
>
> We also just got the 4.2 stuff (VAX and RISC).  While trying to use RIS
> to load the subsets onto a host machine I seem to have run into a
> problem with the UNSUPPORTED SUBSETS tape for RISC.  The tape has been
> "Working...." about 60 hours (over  the weekend).   All the other tapes
> loaded fine.  Could this be caused by a similar problem to the mandatory
> tapes with the wrong SUBSETS on them?

I wouldn't bet on it - the "working..." message simply means that setld
is waiting for some program it has invoked to complete - typically either
a mt or (compressed) tar execution.  If it's hung up, I'd use ps to try to
figure out where it died...

The symptom of the "wrong subsets" is that setld blows off all the subsets
on the tape, claiming (rightly) that none of the prerequistes are installed.

schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Roland Schemers III) (06/11/91)

Another 4.2 problem I have noticed -

In the ksh ~ is still broken when using hesiod to look up the username:

print ~user

Just prints:

~user

When the user is not in the password file but is in the hesiod database.

Also, although not a bug, NFS breaks when is in more then 8 groups. I think
this was reported before here but I thought it was worth repeating. 4.2
allows someone with up to 32 groups, but trying to NFS mount a pre 4.2
system fails. This showed up after I enabled hesiod, and root ended
up in more then 8 groups.

Roland

--
Roland J. Schemers III                              Systems/Network Manager
schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ultrix)              Oakland University

In article <7008@vela.acs.oakland.edu> schemers@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Roland Schemers III) writes:
> Another 4.2 problem I have noticed -
>
> Also, although not a bug, NFS breaks when is in more then 8 groups. I think
> this was reported before here but I thought it was worth repeating. 4.2
> allows someone with up to 32 groups, but trying to NFS mount a pre 4.2
> system fails. This showed up after I enabled hesiod, and root ended
> up in more then 8 groups.

This is discussed explictly in section 3.8.14 of the release notes.  Supposedly
Ultrix 4.2 finally "fixes" the 8 group restriction and can now interoperate
with Sun's and other Ultrix 4.2 systems having user id's that belong to more
than 8 groups.  HOWEVER, this does not "fix" older Ultrix systems, which still
have the 8 group limitation.

It would be nice if there was a corresponding patch available for 3.X and 4.x<2,
versions of Ultrix, but I'm not horribly optimistic.

Is it still broken with the above taken into consideration?

						George

In article <22323@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:

>Is it still broken with the above taken into consideration?

I should have been more specific. Its not really broken, but works as described.
I just wanted to warn people who spend hours trying to figuring it out before
reading it in some sections of the release notes (like I did!). It worked
fine for me at first, but after I turned on hesiod it stopped working! After
digging through the release notes I found the section on NFS and the number
of groups.

Roland