[comp.unix.ultrix] tcsh and Ultrix 4.2

tjb@kepler.unh.edu (Thomas J. Baker) (06/07/91)

I just got Ultrix 4.2 installed on my DECstation 3100 and now I can't
use tcsh as my login shell from X.  I works great from telnet or a lat
but it just puts me back at the Xprompter when I try to log in.  Has
anyone else experienced this?  I can't stand csh anymore!!!

Please reply via mail because I don't read this group regularly.

Thanks for any help.

tjb

| Thomas Baker                                                       |
| Computing & Information Services    INTERNET: Thomas_Baker@unh.edu |
| University of New Hampshire         NeXTmail: tjb@IceCube.unh.edu  |
| M113 Kingsbury Hall                    Voice: (603) 862-4490       |
| Durham, NH 03824                                                   |

neideck@kaputt.enet.dec.com (Burkhard Neidecker-Lutz) (06/07/91)

There is a bug in tcsh that is triggered under Ultrix 4.2. The 4.2
prompter sets the close-on-exec flags on file descriptors 0,1 and 2
and tcsh gets confused when it tries to get around the closed descriptors.
(i.e. the reopening code is broken). My login shell is tcsh under
4.2, but we patched tcsh. I didn't do the patch, I will have to check
with the author of it whether it's ok to post it.

				Burkhard Neidecker-Lutz
				Digital CEC Karlsruhe
				Project NESTOR

brw@hertz.njit.edu (Brian White) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun7.081957.14087@pa.dec.com> neideck@kaputt.enet.dec.com (Burkhard Neidecker-Lutz) writes:

>There is a bug in tcsh that is triggered under Ultrix 4.2. The 4.2
>prompter sets the close-on-exec flags on file descriptors 0,1 and 2
>and tcsh gets confused when it tries to get around the closed descriptors.
>(i.e. the reopening code is broken). My login shell is tcsh under
>4.2, but we patched tcsh. I didn't do the patch, I will have to check
>with the author of it whether it's ok to post it.
>

>				Burkhard Neidecker-Lutz
>				Digital CEC Karlsruhe
>				Project NESTOR

Any followup on this, Burkhard? I'm currently "exec"ing tcsh in .login on our
5000 and would like a more elegant solution :^).

Brian White, System Manager
New Jersey Institute of Technology
brw@hertz.njit.edu brw@njit.edu