[comp.unix.ultrix] Anyone using the gatethru package w/Ultrix?

daveg@prowler.clearpoint.com (Dave Goldblatt) (06/12/91)

I've been trying to have my DECwindows software on a VAX (VMS 5.4-2)
display on a Sun SPARC via my DECstation 5200 (Ultrix 3.1D +
Inet<->Dnet).  I've compiled the gatethru package, set it up according
to the documentation, but when I run the DECWindows software on the
VMS host, it'll always display on the 5200's console, no matter what
server I set VMS to use.

As I know little about DECnet, I'm stuck. :-(

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!  (other than buying a
TCP/IP for VMS, which I can't do)

Thanx muchly..

-dg-

--
"Look, folks, you can't save everyone. |  Dave Goldblatt [daveg@clearpoint.com]
  Just try not to be living next to    |  Software Engineering (Subsystems)

ian@sibyl.eleceng.ua.OZ (Ian Dall) (06/13/91)

In article <DAVEG.91Jun12080926@prowler.clearpoint.com> daveg@prowler.clearpoint.com writes:

>I've been trying to have my DECwindows software on a VAX (VMS 5.4-2)
>display on a Sun SPARC via my DECstation 5200 (Ultrix 3.1D +
>Inet<->Dnet).  I've compiled the gatethru package, set it up according
>to the documentation, but when I run the DECWindows software on the
>VMS host, it'll always display on the 5200's console, no matter what
>server I set VMS to use.

Yes, I am running the gatethru stuff (the program is called gatewayd
right?), and it does work. Don't forget to set the execute bits on the
shell scripts you create (like I did). If the VMS client windows are
coming up on the DECstation, chances are the display number is not
being set properly in VMS. We had that experience with at least
on locally written VMS application (actually a DCL script at the
front end) which set the display number to zero. Obliging of it!
--
Ian Dall          I'm not into isms, but hedonism is the most
                  harmless I can think of. -- Phillip Adams