[comp.unix.ultrix] Large drives off of a Decstation 3100

jjensen@jarthur.claremont.edu (Jeff Jensen) (06/08/91)

Hello,

We're running Ultrix 4.1 Rev 52 off of a DecStation 3100.  We are in the
process of getting a new drive, of about 1.2gig.  Now to the question...
For some reason, I seem to remember hearing that there were problems
running a disk of this size under Ultrix.  Is this true, and if so, are
there any patches?  Any information/pointers to places to look would be
appreciated.

-Jeff Jensen

jjensen@fenris.claremont.edu
jjensen@hmcvax.bitnet
jjensen@jarthur.claremont.edu

sysmark@aurora.physics.utoronto.ca (Mark Bartelt) (06/10/91)

In article <12232@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>
jjensen@jarthur.claremont.edu (Jeff Jensen) writes:

| We're running Ultrix 4.1 Rev 52 off of a DecStation 3100.  We are in the
| process of getting a new drive, of about 1.2gig.  Now to the question...
| For some reason, I seem to remember hearing that there were problems
| running a disk of this size under Ultrix.  Is this true, and if so, are
| there any patches?  Any information/pointers to places to look would be
| appreciated.

Although I rarely use Ultrix these days, I'll make a moderately educated
guess (since I haven't seen any other replies, authoritative or otherwise,
to your question).  The following article from comp.sys.sgi implies that,
yes, there is (or at least was) a problem with Ultrix and large drives.
But it also suggests that these problems may have been fixed recently.
Maybe someone from DEC will provide information more accurate than my
random surmises.  (C'mon Fred, where are ya? ;-)

| From: olson@anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson)
| Subject: Re: Adding a 3'rd party disk drive to PI
| Date: 7 Jun 91 20:44:40 GMT
|
| In <1010@ki.UUCP> dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) writes:
|
| |   [ ... ]
| |
| | Can the Iris make full use of a 1.2GB drive?  The specific model I'm
| | looking at is a Wren 7.
| |
| |   [ ... ]
|
| Yes, the PI doesn't have the same braindead scsi driver that all but
| the most recent Sun and Ultrix releases had.  They were using 6 byte
| SCSI cmds, and that caused the block number to wrap at 1Gb.  SGI has
| always used the 10 byte commands, and there is no problem with drives
| greater than 1Gb formatted.  The Wren VII is a pretty good drive, and
| is one that we resell, so you should see no problems with it.

Mark Bartelt                                                416/978-5619
Canadian Institute for                             mark@cita.toronto.edu
Theoretical Astrophysics                           mark@cita.utoronto.ca

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/11/91)

In article <12232@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jjensen@jarthur.claremont.edu (Jeff Jensen) writes:
>We're running Ultrix 4.1 Rev 52 off of a DecStation 3100.  We are in the
>process of getting a new drive, of about 1.2gig.  Now to the question...
>For some reason, I seem to remember hearing that there were problems
>running a disk of this size under Ultrix.  Is this true, and if so, are
>there any patches?  Any information/pointers to places to look would be
>appreciated.

Nah. Just don't make any partition any bigger than 1 GB and you will be
fine.
--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (06/11/91)

PYdL> In article <12232@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jjensen@jarthur.claremont.edu (Jeff Jensen) writes:
>We're running Ultrix 4.1 Rev 52 off of a DecStation 3100.  We are in the
>process of getting a new drive, of about 1.2gig.  Now to the question...
>For some reason, I seem to remember hearing that there were problems
>running a disk of this size under Ultrix.  Is this true, and if so, are
>there any patches?  Any information/pointers to places to look would be
>appreciated.

PYdL> Nah. Just don't make any partition any bigger than 1 GB and you will be
PYdL> fine.
PYdL> --
--

wrong. If you're using a pre-4.2 Ultrix, you can not use more than
2^21 sectors in any given drive. The Ultrix SCSI drivers use a command

Ultrix 4.2 allegedly fixes this scsi driver. They may have a
limitation of 2^21 sectors per partition, I dunno.

Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Colorado at Boulder	(grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu)
						(grunwald@cs.colorado.edu)

moss@cs.umass.edu (Eliot Moss) (06/11/91)

Actually, my understanding was that the the problem had to do with low level
sector numbering in the SCSI commands (only enough bits to talk about 2
million sectors = 1 billion bytes (at 512 bytes/sector)), so partition size
would probably not help. If the problem is inodes or something, then limiting
partition size should help ...					Eliot Moss
--

		J. Eliot B. Moss, Assistant Professor
		Lederle Graduate Research Center

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (06/14/91)

	The problem was that you could not safely reference more
	than 2^21 LBNs.  Since most LBNs are 512 bytes, that works
	out to 1 GB.  It didn't matter how it was partitioned.  This
	problem has been fixed in ULTRIX V4.2.
--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com