[comp.unix.ultrix] DSSI disks

jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) (06/14/91)

Anyone know if the DSSI disks are SCSI ( or some form thereof )?

If not, what type of interface do they use?

Thanks,

--
Jim Ray                                Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  jdr@semi.harris.com         PO Box 883   MS 62B-022

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.200046.4932@mlb.semi.harris.com>, jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) writes:
> Anyone know if the DSSI disks are SCSI ( or some form thereof )?

	DSSI is not SCSI, though at times it looks a lot like it.  First
	the storage protocols used are MSCP for disks and TMSCP for tapes.
	As with SCSI each "device" on it has an imbedded disk or tape
	controller.  The DSSI devices are called Integrate Storage Elements
	(ISEs).

	One way of looking at is that each ISE is a single drive HSC and
	the DSSI is the CI.

> If not, what type of interface do they use?

	Yet another DEC proprietary DSA thing.  I suspect that people
	that designed looked at SCSI and decided they could do better.
	They probably use EDC/ECC instead of parity for data integrity
	on the bus.  They may have extended the 6 meter cable limit or
	least made sure that all 6 meters is usable.

	If DSSI drives were closer to SCSI drives in price, I'd prefer
	them for storing my files.

> Thanks,

	You're welcome.

Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com

henderson@esvax.hamavnet.com (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.200046.4932@mlb.semi.harris.com>, jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) writes:

> Anyone know if the DSSI disks are SCSI ( or some form thereof )?

No, they are not.

> If not, what type of interface do they use?

They use DSSI interface.

> Thanks,

You're welcome.
--
Javier Henderson
Engineering Services

henderson@hamavnet.com
{simpact,asylum,elroy,dhw68k}!hamavnet!henderson