[comp.unix.ultrix] motif window manager under ucx

atmbnl@vax.oxford.ac.uk (06/10/91)

Gidday

I have a DS5000 running Ultrix 4.1 and using the default window manager
dxwm. Apparently for some software I want to run I should be using the Motif
window manager. I can't find it ... is it likely I haven't looked in the right
place, or do I have to get it from DEC.

(sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm still learning this stuff).

Bryan Lawrence

Ph +44 865 272930 Fax +44 865 272923
Preferred Email: uk.ac.ox.atm.isams::lawrence (janet) or
       		 lawrence@isams.dnet.nasa.gov (internet)
Snailmail: (Sub) Department of Atmospheric, Oceanic and Planetary Physics
           Clarendon Lab, Parks Rd, Oxford OX1 3PU

la_carle@sol.brispoly.ac.uk (Les Carleton) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.131604.648@vax.oxford.ac.uk> atmbnl@vax.oxford.ac.uk writes:
   Gidday

   I have a DS5000 running Ultrix 4.1 and using the default window manager
   dxwm. Apparently for some software I want to run I should be using the Motif
   window manager. I can't find it ... is it likely I haven't looked in the right
   place, or do I have to get it from DEC.

   (sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm still learning this stuff).

   Bryan Lawrence

You can buy the Motif developers kit from DEC. However any software
you have shouldn't be needing the motif window manager (mwm) it's just
a manager program like dxwm. If you are compiling source code and you
need the motif libraries then you'll have to buy them from DEC or OSF.

...Les...
"Its not a stupid question"
--
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| Les Carleton              | la_carle@uk.ac.bristol-poly.gould2 (JANET) |

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun10.131604.648@vax.oxford.ac.uk> atmbnl@vax.oxford.ac.uk writes:
>I have a DS5000 running Ultrix 4.1 and using the default window manager
>dxwm. Apparently for some software I want to run I should be using the Motif
>window manager. I can't find it ... is it likely I haven't looked in the right
>place, or do I have to get it from DEC.

1) You don't have to buy it from DEC, you can get it (cheaper) from OSF and
compile it yourself, it is not that hard, and you will have the source!
2) A good X window program does not care which program manager runs.
3) mwm is not provided by default.
--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems