[comp.unix.ultrix] TIOCCONS ioctl under sunos: does ultrix have something similar?

lfs@d62iggy.mitre.org (Lyman F. Sheats Jr.) (06/13/91)

While recently building the X11R4 distribution for sunos 4.1.1 and ultrix 4.1,
I came across the following in mit/clients/xterm/main.c:

#ifdef TIOCCONS
static int Console;
#endif  /* TIOCCONS */

... [other references to TIOCCONS deleted] ...

On the sparc under sunos 4.1.1, the #define of TIOCCONS is in the file
<sys/ttycom.h>, which gets included (indirectly) by ioctl.h.  Under ultrix,
however, I was unable to find the definition of TIOCCONS in any .h file in the
/usr/include tree.  What I would like to know is:

  1) Does ultrix 4.2 have this #define somewhere?  We have the 4.2 tapes, but
it will probably be many weeks before any of our machines get upgraded.
We are currently using ultrix 4.1 on VAXstation 3100s.

  2) If ultrix 4.2 does not have TIOCCONS, is there an equivalent under
any/other version(s) of ultrix?  Maybe under a slightly different name?

The reason I ask is that the xterm code to capture console output is
#ifdefed around TIOCCONS.  'xterm -C' under sunos 4.1.1 causes console output
to be redirected to the xterm window.  'xterm -C' under ultrix causes console
output to go to the console (since the definition of TIOCCONS is nonexistent).
I usually find myself typing 'xrefresh' alot, and it's starting to piss me off.
I do know about xcons(R3) and xconsole(R4), but I'm really looking for a
'clean' solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Lyman F. Sheats Jr.
The MITRE Corporation

mellon@nigiri.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon) (06/14/91)

The quick workaround is to start an xterm as follows:

xterm -e cat /dev/xcons

If /dev/xcons is open, console output is made available for reading
from it, rather than being printed to the graphics console.   A
different way of doing things than on a Sun, but reasonably effective.

This is discussed in more detail in the Ultrix 4.2 release notes.

			       _MelloN_

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/15/91)

In article <LFS.91Jun13090123@d62iggy.mitre.org> lfs@d62iggy.mitre.org (Lyman F. Sheats Jr.) writes:
>While recently building the X11R4 distribution for sunos 4.1.1 and ultrix 4.1,
>I came across the following in mit/clients/xterm/main.c:
ultrix 4.1 does not support x11r4. (the X libraries, apparently do, but
you cannot compile x11r4 code, because you do not have the right .h
files.)

--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems