[comp.unix.ultrix] Problem w/ Multi-User mode - Ultrix 4.1

wrt@kepler.unh.edu (Walter R Trachim) (06/14/91)

I'm having a strange problem w/ a DS3100/Ultrix 4.1. If one of the users
that has an account on my machine tries to log in when I have a session
running, he gets bounced with the message "too many users logged it. Try
again later." At the console of the workstation I have only one session
window open, the mailbox, and the clock. And conversely, if the same
party logs in from a remote device and I try to log in from the console, I'm
not allowed to do so either.

We have a second 3100 in the same office running 3.1, and it does not
exhibit the problem I've described. And one of my colleagues across campus
runs a machine almost identical to mine except for a color display, and
he, to my knowledge, doesn't have this problem, either.

when I installed the O/S, could I have configured something incorrectly?

If anyone out there has a clue, or knows the right questions to ask, please
e-mail me. I'd appreciate any help I can get on this one; it's starting to
make me mad....

	   Walter R. Trachim - UNH Network Services, Durham, NH 03824
	   Phone: 603-862-4742/4773        Fax: 603-862-2030
	   E-Mail: walt@unhsst.unh.edu / "My home away from home."
	If I weren't boring I'd be nuts, and if I weren't nuts I'd be
	boring.... you decide.

henderson@esvax.hamavnet.com (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.200640.28429@unhd.unh.edu>, wrt@kepler.unh.edu (Walter R Trachim) writes:

> I'm having a strange problem w/ a DS3100/Ultrix 4.1. If one of the users
> that has an account on my machine tries to log in when I have a session
> running, he gets bounced with the message "too many users logged it. Try
> again later." At the console of the workstation I have only one session
> window open, the mailbox, and the clock. And conversely, if the same
> party logs in from a remote device and I try to log in from the console, I'm
> not allowed to do so either.

That is because Ultrix 4.1 is LMF protected. To have more than one interactive
session, you need to buy extra licensing.

--
Javier Henderson
Engineering Services

henderson@hamavnet.com
{simpact,asylum,elroy,dhw68k}!hamavnet!henderson

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun14.081538.50@esvax.hamavnet.com> henderson@esvax.hamavnet.com writes:
>In article <1991Jun13.200640.28429@unhd.unh.edu>, wrt@kepler.unh.edu (Walter R Trachim) writes:
>
>> I'm having a strange problem w/ a DS3100/Ultrix 4.1. If one of the users
>> that has an account on my machine tries to log in when I have a session
>> running, he gets bounced with the message "too many users logged it. Try
>> again later." At the console of the workstation I have only one session
>> window open, the mailbox, and the clock. And conversely, if the same
>> party logs in from a remote device and I try to log in from the console, I'm
>> not allowed to do so either.
>
>That is because Ultrix 4.1 is LMF protected. To have more than one interactive
>session, you need to buy extra licensing.
There is a perfectly legal trick you can do (thru X window) that will
allow an unlimited number of people to login on such "limited"
licensing:
xhost +machine
rsh machine xterm -d your_display:0
It sure works on Ultrix.
--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems