[comp.unix.ultrix] Adding/setting up mem, disk, cd drive, sys admin?

lau@desci.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) (06/15/91)

We recently got some new hardware for our DECstation 5000/200.  Most of
the installation seems straight forward but I have a few of questions.

I added two 8 meg memory boards.  The memory shows up on the hardware
test.  What do I need to do to make the operating system aware of the
new memory?  I couldn't find any doc on this, maybe I'm not looking in
the right place.

I added 2 RZ57s in an expansion unit to the system.  I ran MAKEDEV and
newfs.  The results were about 950megs total with 850megs available.  Is
this normal?  I read somewhere that the system takes about 10% for
(mumble...mumble).  Is there a way to change this percentage, would one
want to do this?

We got an RRD42 CD drive that has the headphone jack and audio LR outs.
Does anyone have software that can play music CDs on this drive?  I
think it's much nicer than the bulky RRD40(?).

Oh, we also got Ultrix 4.2 recently.  I only recently upgraded the systems
to 4.1. and everything was working so well.

Another thing, do you have to run lmf on each machine to install the licenses
for each product.  We only have a half dozen machines with one acting as the
server(dms) for the others.  Still, it was a bit tedious typing in all the
information for each machine to register a product.  There's probably a way
to type it just once and reuse, no?

Sorry if some of these questions seems simple.  We've only recently gotten
the sys admin doc set and I haven't plowed through all of it yet.

Just thought of another thing.  Is there a way to set up yellow pages without
being a bind server?  Sounds like a wierd question.  What I want to do is
have a common /etc/passwd, /etc/group files for our DECstations and still use
our campus-wide name server.

Yan.
--
   )~  Yan K. Lau    lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu      The Wharton School
 ~/~   Sheenaphile           128.91.11.233       University of Pennsylvania

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (06/16/91)

In article <44675@netnews.upenn.edu>, lau@desci.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) writes:
> We recently got some new hardware for our DECstation 5000/200.  Most of
> the installation seems straight forward but I have a few of questions.
>
> I added two 8 meg memory boards.  The memory shows up on the hardware
> test.  What do I need to do to make the operating system aware of the
> new memory?  I couldn't find any doc on this, maybe I'm not looking in
> the right place.

	You boot the system.  There's nothing special you need to
	do if the memory is correctly installed.  Now if ULTRIX
	isn't seeing the memory when you boot the system, then
	you have a problem.  Make sure the memory is in contiguous
	slots.  You may also have problems if you're trying to mix
	the older 8 MB boards with the newer 32 MB boards.

	If the addition of the new memory takes you over 64 MB
	then you may want to change the "physmem" parameter in
	the configuration file, rebuild and boot the new kernel.
	The value is used to determine the page tables.  It seems
	that only three values are interesting; less than a low
	water mark, above a high water mark and either side of
	64 MB.  For DECsystems the files of interest are in
	/sys/machine/mips/{genassym.c,vmparam.h}.

> I added 2 RZ57s in an expansion unit to the system.  I ran MAKEDEV and
> newfs.  The results were about 950megs total with 850megs available.  Is
> this normal?  I read somewhere that the system takes about 10% for
> (mumble...mumble).  Is there a way to change this percentage, would one
> want to do this?

	This seems to be normal(*).  The difference between the 850
	and 950 is the 10% reserved free space.  You can change
	this when you create the file system using the -m option
	of newfs(8) or later with the tunefs(8) command.  You may
	not want to though, at least until you need to.  Early
	studies of the Fast File System showed that block allocation
	started becoming slower when the file system was more than
	90% full.  On the other hand, not being able to allocate a
	block knowing that there really is free space, is more than
	a little inconvient.

	Use the 90% number as a indicator of when you need more disk
	space.  The disadvantage of having the file system that full
	is that the performance may suffer.  Blocks allocated to large
	files will be scattered all over the disk, instead being kept
	close together.  Small files may also end being scattered all
	over.  Keep the 10% in reserve and if you really need it later
	you can change it and start looking to get more space or clean
	up the existing space.

	If you're using the space for archival on-line storage that
	won't change much, then you should be able to set the minfree
	number to whatever is needed.  If you're very careful about
	file placement and allocation the performance might not suffer
	to badly.  I'd guess that you'd want to create the large files
	first and then do the small ones.

	(*) I looked around a bit and the RZ57 seems a bit strange.
	I'll discuss it in a seperate follow-up.

> We got an RRD42 CD drive that has the headphone jack and audio LR outs.
> Does anyone have software that can play music CDs on this drive?  I
> think it's much nicer than the bulky RRD40(?).

	I know that some people internally have written software
	for it.  All of it has been clearly marked "Internal Use
	Only", so it's not available to customers.  I won't be
	surprised to see customer written software showing up
	shortly to do the same thing, if the documentation is
	reasonable.

> Oh, we also got Ultrix 4.2 recently.  I only recently upgraded the systems
> to 4.1. and everything was working so well.

	Read the V4.2 release novel (notes) to see if there is
	any particular feature or bug fix that you need.  Please
	realize that in about six months the CSC will stop treating
	V4.1 as a supported version though.  If you have a support
	contract the first words you hear in answer to a problem
	may be "Please upgrade to V4.mumble".  Beyond that, upgrade
	when it's convient to do so.  Now, if you start exercising
	some mysterious V4.1 bug, then the fix might be upgrade.

> Another thing, do you have to run lmf on each machine to install the licenses
> for each product.  We only have a half dozen machines with one acting as the
> server(dms) for the others.  Still, it was a bit tedious typing in all the
> information for each machine to register a product.  There's probably a way
> to type it just once and reuse, no?

	If you have the PAK online you can use this to register it
	from a file:

		# lmf register - < PAK-file

	Once you've typed in all the LMF data and checksum stuff
	you may be able to save a copy of the that to a known file
	before exiting the editor.  If you have DECnet installed
	then you may also be able to use the online PAK as a guide;
	/usr/lib/dnet_shared/{mumble-something-obvious}.

> Sorry if some of these questions seems simple.  We've only recently gotten
> the sys admin doc set and I haven't plowed through all of it yet.

	Please SPR or use the Reader Comments page to let us officially
	know about any problems you have with the documentation.

> Just thought of another thing.  Is there a way to set up yellow pages without
> being a bind server?  Sounds like a wierd question.  What I want to do is
> have a common /etc/passwd, /etc/group files for our DECstations and still use
> our campus-wide name server.

	I have many of the system I manage setup to use bind for
	the hosts and YP for everything else.  Just use svcsetup
	to pick and choose.

Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (06/16/91)

In article <44675@netnews.upenn.edu>, lau@desci.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) writes:
> I added 2 RZ57s in an expansion unit to the system.  I ran MAKEDEV and
> newfs.  The results were about 950megs total with 850megs available.  Is
> this normal?  I read somewhere that the system takes about 10% for
> (mumble...mumble).

	And I responded "This seems to be normal".  Well, upon
	closer examination there's something funny about the RZ57
	and perhaps all the DEC SCSI disks.  Perhaps it's just an
	editing error on the part of whoever maintains /etc/disktab,
	but it none the less curious.

	From /etc/disktab we can discover that the size of the C
	partition of an RZ57 is 2,025,788 sectors or 989.15 MB.
	However if we look at the output of chpt -q we see that
	ULTRIX really believes there are only 1,954,050 sectors
	(954.13 MB).  If we look at the geometry information in
	disktab then we get yet a third number.  We are led to
	believe the RZ57 has 71 sectors per track, 15 tracks per
	cylinder and 1,925 cylinders.  This give us 2,050,125 sectors
	or (1,001.04 MB).

	Now it might be that the 71 sectors per track includes a sector
	or two used for bad block replacement.  Setting aside a sector
	on each track for a replacement block can make BBR go faster
	if you can get the LBN of the replacement block from the sector
	header.  So this may mean that there are really on 70 or perhaps
	69 sectors per track.  It's also possible a couple of cylinders
	have been set aside for diagnostic use.  Or it might be that
	we lie about the geometry in /etc/disktab for some reason.

	Ah, let try a different tact.  How do the three different
	numbers factor into interesting values (*)?

	   Disktab:  2025788 = 2 * 2 * 17 * 31 * 31 * 31
	   Chpt:     1954050 = 70 * 15 * 1861
	   Geometry: 2050125 = 71 * 15 * 1925

	Now it gets more interesting.  The value for the C partition
	makes no sense at all.  It doesn't even divide up into an
	even number of 8 KB file system size blocks.  We'll ignore
	it for now and submit an SPR later.  The value for chpt(8) is
	much more interesting.  If we assume that we keep the same
	number of surfaces for data, then we have a disk with 70
	sectors per track and 1,861 tracks.  We already have a plausible
	explaination for the 70 vs. 71.  I guess the missing cylinders
	are cause for another SPR.

	If somebody has a better explaination I'd like to hear it.

	(*) Clearly, we don't want to completely factor the numbers,
	just find any factors that could part of a disk geometry.

	p.s.  It's worth noting that this exercise tends to work
	out for DSA disks.  We typically use one or two sectors
	on each track for BBR, but have the track size show up one
	or two shorter.  The exception of which I know is the ESE20
	that has 3 less sectors than the geometry indicates.  The
	ESE20 is a solid state disk with a data retention system.
	The three sectors are used to construct an replacement
	control table to keep all the DSA disk controllers happy.

--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (06/16/91)

In article <44675@netnews.upenn.edu>, lau@desci.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) writes:
> I added 2 RZ57s in an expansion unit to the system.  I ran MAKEDEV and
> newfs.  The results were about 950megs total with 850megs available.  Is
> this normal?  I read somewhere that the system takes about 10% for
> (mumble...mumble).

	And I responded "This seems to be normal".  But where does
	all the space go you ask?  Well, now that we have resolved
	the disk size (See "Lies, Damned Lies and ..."), we know
	just how much we have to begin with and can determine how
	much is lost to file system overhead.

	That's the key to it you see; file system overhead.  Some
	file system space goes to superblocks, some to inodes and
	some to other stuff.  For some disks this can be a signifi-
	cant percentage of the disk.  We'll find for the RZ57 that
	it isn't very much.

	From the previous discussion we determine that whatever else
	WE might think about it, ULTRIX believes that an RZ57 has
	1,954,050 sectors (977,025 KB).  Doing a newfs(8) on an
	RZ57, letting it take the defaults we find that there are
	a total of 945,726 KB available, a loss of 3.2%.  Looking
	at the RA82 as another example we find it has 608,332 KB
	which goes down to 584,102 KB for file system data, a loss
	of 3.98%.

	Where's the overhead?  First, consider the file system structure.
	Each file system is made up of groups of cylinder.  Each of
	these groups has it's own superblock, block of inodes, data
	space and cylinder group data.  When left to the default
	each group consists of 16 cylinders.  The first cylinder has
	a few more things thrown in to use up a little space.  Here's
	a summary of the sizes of things on an RZ57:

		Bootblock:             8 KB (one only)(+)
		Superblock:            8 KB (one only)
		Backup Superblock:     8 KB (one per CG)
		Cylinder Group data:   8 KB (one per CG)
		Inodes:              256 KB (one per CG)

	From the previous discussion we might concluded that there
	were 1,861 cylinders on an RZ57.  Looking at the output of
	newfs(8) it believes the 71 sectors per track which actually
	gives us 1835 cylinders (one a bit short).  Taking the default
	of 16 cylinders per group this is 115 cylinder groups.  The
	last one will be short, but have the same overhead.  Working
	through the sizes of things we have:

		Bootblock:   8 KB		 =      8 KB
		Superblocks: 8 KB + (8 KB * 115) =    928 KB
		CG:          8 KB * 115		 =    920 KB
		Inodes:      256 KB * 115	 = 29,440 KB
						   31,296 KB

	If we take the difference of chpt(8) size and the total file
	system size we find the result very close;

		977,025 - 945,726 = 31,299

	That's only three KB unaccounted for.  You might think
	that it's best left a mystery; perhaps they end up in
	the same place with socks that go missing from dryers,
	but I think I know where they are.  First, look at the
	original partition size; 977,025 KB.  File systems are
	made up of File System size blocks of data.  This is
	typically 8 KB.  If we view the file system space as
	8 KB blocks there are 122,128 of them with one little
	KB left over.  That's the first one.  Also included in
	the file system overhead of an RZ57 is something called
	the cylinder group summary.  On the RZ57 with defaults
	this is 2 KB (trust me, really).  So we have:

		945,726 + 31,296 + 2 + 1 = 977,025

	The mind boggles.  Now, having been through the exercise what
	can we divine (it's getting late folks...)?

	The amount of space used up in overhead depends on the number
	of cylinder groups, which in turn depends on the number of
	cylinders.  If a disk consists of very many small cylinders
	then lots of space gets used.  One benefit of this is that
	you get lots of space for inodes.  On some file systems this
	can be a big win (News disks for example).

	You can also control the amount of space used for overhead
	in various ways.  There is a flag to newfs(8), passed onto
	mkfs(8) that controls the size of the inode part.  By making
	this number greater than the default of 2048 you can allocate
	fewer inodes and therefore less space.  With this comes the
	risk that you don't have enough inodes.  If you KNOW that a
	disk will have only a few large files, then getting back a
	few dozen MB might be worthwhile.

	Another way to control the overhead is to lie about the
	geometry.  Using a contrived (^) example of a disk with 69
	sectors/track, 13 tracks/cylinder and 3,279 cylinders
	we might wish to lie and say it has 23 sectors/track,
	13 tracks/cylinder and 9,837 cylinders.  Or perhaps,
	69 s/t, 39 t/c and 1,093 cylinders.  Lying about the
	geometry might have other affects, but that is a topic
	for a performance project.

	(+) Actually there is one per file system of the "one
	only" blocks.

	(^) Well, maybe not contrived.
--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com

alan@shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) (06/16/91)

In article <44675@netnews.upenn.edu>, lau@desci.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) writes:
> I added 2 RZ57s in an expansion unit to the system.  I ran MAKEDEV and
> newfs.  The results were about 950megs total with 850megs available.  Is
> this normal?  I read somewhere that the system takes about 10% for
> (mumble...mumble).

	And I responded "This seems to be normal".  But just to be
	sure I tried an experiment.  We also have a new expansion
	box with two RZ57s in it with which I've been able to experi
	ment.  The df(1) output for a new file system looks like:

	Filesystem         Total    kbytes   kbytes   %
	node               kbytes   used     free     used  Mounted on
	/dev/rz1c          945726        9   851145     0%  /mnt

	Clearly the amount free and the amount used don't add up
	to the total.  If we take 10% off the total first though:

		945,726 - 94,572 = 851,154 = 851,145 + 9

	So it does work out.  What happens as the file system fills?
	I don't have the intermediate steps handy, but I do have the
	end result:

	Filesystem         Total    kbytes   kbytes   %
	node               kbytes   used     free     used  Mounted on
	/dev/rz1c          945726   945726        0   111%  /mnt

	The "kbytes free" went to 0 the same time the %used went to
	100%.  After that "free" continued to be zero as I slowly
	filled up the rest of the disk.  So a completely full file
	system will end up at 111% full, which makes sense when you
	think about it.

	Finally; getting that last few blocks used up wasn't easy.
	I create a bunch of large files initially by making copies
	of /dev/mem into the file system.  When I got enough of those
	I made a another that took up most of the rest and slowly
	appended stuff onto the end of it until I got file system
	full messages.  At this point I had just a few KB left over.
	These last few I picked up by creating an appropriate number
	of small files of 1 KB each.  I still had lots of inodes left
	though.
--
Alan Rollow				alan@nabeth.cxn.dec.com

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/16/91)

Edit the "physmem" field located in /sys/conf/mips/HOSTNAME
and give it the number of Megabytes of RAM you have, for instance, if
you had originally 16 MB and added two 8MB boards, you now have 32MB:

physmem   32

Then rebuild your kerel and reboot.
--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems

henderson@esvax.hamavnet.com (06/17/91)

In article <44675@netnews.upenn.edu>, lau@desci.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) writes:
> We recently got some new hardware for our DECstation 5000/200.  Most of
> the installation seems straight forward but I have a few of questions.
>
> I added two 8 meg memory boards.  The memory shows up on the hardware
> test.  What do I need to do to make the operating system aware of the
> new memory?  I couldn't find any doc on this, maybe I'm not looking in
> the right place.

You need to rebuild the kernel. Bring the machine to single user mode and do:

# /etc/doconfig -c HOSTNAME
                   ^^^^^^^^--- must be all caps, even if your machine name
                               has lowercase chars on it

Then make sure you move the newly generated vmunix file back to root
# mv /sys/MIPS/HOSTNAME/vmunix /

.
.(stuff deleted as I don't have answers for some of the questions...)
.
.

> Another thing, do you have to run lmf on each machine to install the licenses
> for each product.  We only have a half dozen machines with one acting as the
> server(dms) for the others.  Still, it was a bit tedious typing in all the
> information for each machine to register a product.  There's probably a way
> to type it just once and reuse, no?

No.

--
Javier Henderson
Engineering Services

henderson@hamavnet.com
{simpact,asylum,elroy,dhw68k}!hamavnet!henderson