[comp.unix.ultrix] Xtm2d? Does it work

mikem+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Meyer) (06/18/91)

I have a Decstation 5000/200PX and I'm trying to use Xtm2d, but I am
bitterly disappointed.  So far I have had the server hang about 3 times
a day.   I've also discovered that several applications run REALLY
slowly -- its as if the server is paging for about a minute (yes I mean
a minute) before any actions occur.  I've checked and there is no
significant disk activity -- the server just seems to be very slow on
some operations.  The same applications run very well on my B/W
decstation 3100, using either DEC or MIT servers.

Have I installed something incorrectly (if I have, then a loaner machine
from Dec had the same problem).   Is there any other X server I can use.
 I'm finding it very hard to get any work done on this machine.

Regards,
Mike Meyer

reha@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Reha Elci) (06/18/91)

In article <scLD1RW00VRUA2ZJ4n@andrew.cmu.edu> mikem+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Meyer) writes:
>I have a Decstation 5000/200PX and I'm trying to use Xtm2d, but I am
>bitterly disappointed.  So far I have had the server hang about 3 times
>Mike Meyer

This seems unusual. I am in an environment of about 10 5000/2000PX's and
they are quite reliable & fast. I do image & pixmap manipulations and
do tons of XFillPolygon stuff which really separates good servers from bad
ones. I have had NO problems with the server so far. This maybe a memory/swap
allocation problem. How many megabytes of memory do you have? Do an /etc/pstat
-s frequently and see what the system state is. Failing all that, there may
be something wrong with hardware. I have been in production with them for
about 8 months or so with no such problems.

Reha Elci

mattf@cac.washington.edu (Matthew Freedman) (06/18/91)

In article <scLD1RW00VRUA2ZJ4n@andrew.cmu.edu> mikem+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Meyer) writes:
>I have a Decstation 5000/200PX and I'm trying to use Xtm2d, but I am
>bitterly disappointed.  So far I have had the server hang about 3 times
>a day.   I've also discovered that several applications run REALLY
>slowly -- its as if the server is paging for about a minute (yes I mean
>a minute) before any actions occur.  I've checked and there is no
>significant disk activity -- the server just seems to be very slow on
>some operations.  The same applications run very well on my B/W
>decstation 3100, using either DEC or MIT servers.

I have had similar, though not quite as bad, problems with Xtm2d. My
server has only hung about once a week. I have plenty of RAM (72 Meg),
so at least I don't have a paging problem. My "knowledgeable" DEC
customer support person told me that all my problems would be solved
with Ultrix 4.2, because that would have an R4 server. As we now know,
Ultrix 4.2 includes R4 servers only for the regular 5000 and 3100, not
for the PX or PXG. The version of Xtm2d that comes with Ultrix 4.2 seems
indistinguishable from the old one.

If you want to see how bad Xtm2d really is, try setting a 1280x1024
color GIF in the root window (or run xmartin if you don't have a big GIF
laying around). Opening or closing a window (under mwm) will suddenly take
up to 10 seconds or more (with *no* swapping going on).

What I have gathered from the people at DEC is that the problem is due to
the 2-D accelerator (I use the term loosely). Apparently it speeds up
vector graphics tremendously, but slows down image manipulation to
slower than a 3100. I was told this is because there is a single
block of devoted memory, exactly 1280x1024x8 bits for drawing in, and
the rest of RAM is innaccessible for bitmap manipulation. Besides the
slow down, this also means you can not run any program that creates
pixmaps larger than 1280x1024. Can someone out there provide more detail
on this hardware problem?

In addition to the hardware problem, there are some unspecified problems
with the X-server that compound the issue.

I would just return the machine, and have DEC give me a vanilla 5000
instead, except that I *really* like the 1280x1024 monitor. It is much
sharper, and has much more real-estate than the one on the 3100 that we
replaced.

Does anybody know if it is possible to pull out the accelerator (for use
as a paper weight), and turn a PX into straight 5000, which could run
the new XR4 server, but still use the jumbo monitor?

= Matthew M. Freedman                                                 =
= U. of Washington Information Systems       mattf@cac.washington.edu =
= 4545 15th Ave. NE; 4th Floor               (206) 543-5593           =
= Seattle, WA  98105                                                  =

mikem+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Meyer) (06/18/91)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.unix.ultrix: 17-Jun-91 Re: Xtm2d? Does it
work Reha Elci@cunixf.cc.colu (829)

> In article <scLD1RW00VRUA2ZJ4n@andrew.cmu.edu> mikem+@andrew.cmu.edu
> (Michael Meyer) writes:
> >I have a Decstation 5000/200PX and I'm trying to use Xtm2d, but I am
> >bitterly disappointed.  So far I have had the server hang about 3 times
> >Mike Meyer

I meant to add that I'm using Ultrix 4.2, fresh from the tape on a brand
new machine.