[comp.unix.ultrix] How to increase # of semaphores

maurijn@pttdis (Maurijn van Tol) (06/17/91)

Hi !
I'm sending this for a friend without access to the net,
please email replies directly to him.

Thanks,
	maurijn

I want to increase the number of semaphores and semaphore identifiers
on our 4.1 Ultrix risc machine. I could not find a word about this in
the documentation (please point me to anything I may have missed), so
I added two lines to the kernel configuration file:

	options SEMMNI="40"
	options SEMMNS="100"

and ran 'doconfig'. However, the newly booted kernel apparently has
exactly the same number of semaphores and identifiers as the old one.

What did I do wrong?

BTW, if Ultrix has a kernel malloc(), why would one impose a maximum
number of semaphores at all?

	Siebren van der Zee, siebren@xirion.nl

In article <181@pttdis.UUCP> maurijn@pttdis.UUCP (Maurijn van Tol) writes:

> I want to increase the number of semaphores and semaphore identifiers
> on our 4.1 Ultrix risc machine. I could not find a word about this in
> the documentation (please point me to anything I may have missed), so
> I added two lines to the kernel configuration file:
>
> 	options SEMMNI="40"
> 	options SEMMNS="100"

Where did you get these options from?

If they are apprpriate to Ultrix at all, they may or may not be configurable
in a binary system.  They would have to be used in some of the C code that
gets compiled during the config.  Also, some option changes do not trigger
recompilation of the appropriate sources, you must do a a "make clean" in
the target directory...

frank@croton.nyo.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (06/19/91)

ULTRIX/SQL also needs a larger number of semaphores.  The instructions
for that package simply tell you to edit /sys/h/sem.h and change the
SEM* constants there.  Just to be on the safe side, I'd also follow George
Robbins's recomendation and do a "make clean" in the /sys/MIPS/SYSNAME
directory.  (SYSNAME is the name of your system, and feel free to substitute
VAX for MIPS if that's the architecture of the machine.)

						Frank