[comp.unix.ultrix] Help on sendmail to bitnet

qiangli@GAUSS.CASR.FAU.EDU (Charlie Li) (06/19/91)

Hi, we are running Ultrix 4.1's sendmail on DEC 5000, but cannot have it to
route mail to user@node.BITNET.  Any idea?  Simple solutions?

I used
DRrelay_host
but it caused all mails go through the relay_host, that is not what I want.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Charlie Li
Center for Applied Stochastics Research, Florida Atlantic University

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (06/19/91)

In article <9106190402.AA06255@gauss.casr.fau.edu> qiangli@GAUSS.CASR.FAU.EDU (Charlie Li) writes:

>Hi, we are running Ultrix 4.1's sendmail on DEC 5000, but cannot have it to
>route mail to user@node.BITNET.  Any idea?  Simple solutions?

In ruleset 0, in the section commented "handle special cases", add the
following line:

R$*<@$+.BITNET>$*	$#tcp$@cunyvm.cuny.edu$:$1<@$2.BITNET>$3	route bitnet

Make sure you make the white space tabs, not spaces.  You can use some
other host in place of cunyvm.cuny.edu if you'd rather, as well as
some other mailer in case you don't use the "tcp" mailer.  I've
included a copy of the relevant part of DEC's sendmail.cf below in
case you have trouble finding it.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

------------------------ First part of ruleset 0 ---------------------------
S0

# first make canonical (necessary for recursion)
#R$+			$:$>3$1				make canonical

# handle special cases.....
R@			$#local$:MAILER-DAEMON		handle <> form
R$*<@[$+]>$*		$:$1<@$[[$2]$]>$3		lookup numeric addr
R$*<@[$+]>$*		$#tcp$@[$2]$:$1@[$2]$3		numeric internet spec
R$*<@$+.BITNET>$*	$#tcp$@cunyvm.cuny.edu$:$1<@$2.BITNET>$3	route bitnet

# arrange for local names to be fully qualified
.
.
.