[comp.unix.ultrix] Configuring Clients and Servers

bogaart@serc.nl (Eugene Bogaart) (06/19/91)

Hoi Net,

We have a DEC station 2100 as a client attached to a server DEC system
5400.  Via the Diskless Management System the clients are configured to
boot their kernel of the /dlclient?/CLIENT.root area.

The DMS manual shows how to modify the configuration so that a local
disk can be used as swap.

The I am wondering if it is possible to change the configuration of a
client DECstation (2100) with one local disk (RZ23), so that not only
the swap space is local but also its root filesystem. (servers is then
only needed for the clients /usr's file system.)

It seems a possible modifications reading the DMS manual (appendix
A. netblk.c ) But nothing clear is stated about root on local disk.
I tried it, by doing the following steps.

	1) Configure a Kernel with partial swap on local disk.
	   Made filesystems on the local disk.

	2) Configure a kernel with partial swap on local disk
	   and root on local disk.

	3) Copied the server:/dlclient?/CLIENT file hierarchy
	   to the local disk.

	4) Try to boot from the local disk: boot -f rz(0,2,2)vmunix.test
	   (I am certain about the boot command, because all other
	    combinations result in the message that there is no boot
	    block on the device.)

This results in a responds like: Can't open Ultrixboot !  so copied a
ultrixboot file on the local disk, but the error message is the same !

Does any body know if this is the right way to go ?

Things I can think of that matter are the place of ultrixboot file.
In the server e.g. it is the 6th ino entry of the root dir. In the client
the ultrixboot file is the 290th ino.
Something else is that the ultrixboot file is hardware dependent (disk type).

Some clues would be welcome !

Eugene
--

Name:     Eugene Bogaart | Software Engineering Research Centre
Email:   bogaart@serc.nl | Lange Viestraat 365, 3511 BK Utrecht

dan@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (Daniel Heath) (06/20/91)

In article <BOGAART.91Jun19144021@gin.serc.nl> bogaart@serc.nl (Eugene  Bogaart) writes:

>Hoi Net,
>
>We have a DEC station 2100 as a client attached to a server DEC system
>5400.  Via the Diskless Management System the clients are configured to
>boot their kernel of the /dlclient?/CLIENT.root area.
>
>The DMS manual shows how to modify the configuration so that a local
>disk can be used as swap.
>
>The I am wondering if it is possible to change the configuration of a
>client DECstation (2100) with one local disk (RZ23), so that not only
>the swap space is local but also its root filesystem. (servers is then
>only needed for the clients /usr's file system.)

 Use RIS (Remote Installation Service) instead of DMS.  RIS is designed
 specifically to do what you are asking by making the client's root and
 swap area local.  See your manuals for details.

                                    Later,
                                    Dan Heath
                                    dan@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu