[comp.unix.ultrix] Problems with Dec Station

wangjw@cs.purdue.EDU (Jingwen Wang) (06/16/91)

  I have been using the Sun stations, but now I switched to Dec station.
Can I ask the following questions:

1) The troff software does not work. I tried on the Dec stations of several
   Universities, but the response is just "Typesetter busy". Can anyone tell
   me how to print troff documents on this machine.

2) On sun, we can use "bintype" to found out the hosttype, but on Dec
   stations, I cann't find such a command.

	Any information is appreciated.

	Jingwen wang
	wangjw@cs.purdue.edu

In article <15028@ector.cs.purdue.edu> wangjw@brandon.cs.purdue.edu () writes:

>   I have been using the Sun stations, but now I switched to Dec station.
> Can I ask the following questions:
>
> 1) The troff software does not work. I tried on the Dec stations of several
>    Universities, but the response is just "Typesetter busy". Can anyone tell
>    me how to print troff documents on this machine.

Ultrix is shipped with standard "CAT" troff.  This version is all but
useless except that it can be used with some CAT to xyz conversion programs.

Several companies offer products based on pwb troff (ditroff) which will produce
postscript or printer specific output formats.  See the Ultrix software guide or
any copy of Unix Review or unix/world.

> 2) On sun, we can use "bintype" to found out the hosttype, but on Dec
>    stations, I cann't find such a command.

You can create one:

/bin/arch (vax):
#! /bin/sh -
/bin/echo vax

/bin/mips (mips):
#! /bin/sh -
/bin/echo mips

moss@cs.umass.edu (Eliot Moss) (06/18/91)

Another troff-like program suite you can get for free is groff from the Free
Software Foundation. You can get it via anonymous ftp from prep.ai.mit.edu.
The file in question is pub/gnu/groff-1.02.tar.Z, a compressed tar file
(retrieve in binary mode, uncompress, tar xvf to extract, and then start
figuring out the rest of the installation). I think it requires g++, available
from the same machine and directory ...
--

		J. Eliot B. Moss, Assistant Professor
		Lederle Graduate Research Center

mellon@nigiri.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon) (06/19/91)

I'm not sure what the "bintype" command does under SunOS (it wasn't
there last time I used SunOS), but under Ultrix version 3.1 and
higher, /bin/machine will print out the machine type, and on 4.0 and
higher, the uname command will print the machine type, the operating
system name and version, and a few other goodies.   I suspect that
uname may also work on SunOS these days, since it's supposed to be
SVR4-compatible.

			       _MelloN_

hudgens@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (Jim Hudgens) (06/21/91)

In article <MOSS.91Jun18090839@ibis.cs.umass.edu> moss@cs.umass.edu writes:
>[[ groff-1.02 discussed ]]
>I think it requires g++, available from the same machine and directory ...
>--
>
>		J. Eliot B. Moss, Assistant Professor
>		Department of Computer and Information Science
>		Lederle Graduate Research Center
>		University of Massachusetts
>		Amherst, MA  01003
>		(413) 545-4206, 545-1249 (fax); Moss@cs.umass.edu

I've tried to get g++ running on a ds5000.  I can get it to
compile, but it fails to link at the very last step (using gcc-1.39
and g++-1.39) with some undefines.  Exact same source tree works fine on
a VAX ultrix 4.1 and sun4/sunos4.1.  Anyone have the magic incantations
needed to get g++ running on ds5000/Ultrix 4.1????

JHH

--
Jim Hudgens		Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
hudgens@sun13.scri.fsu.edu