[comp.unix.ultrix] ris question

JGROVER@MAINE.MAINE.EDU (John Grover) (06/21/91)

If I want to use ris to install software, must I be using DECnet, or
can I accomplish this on a "normal" network.  ;-)

John Grover
Computing Center
University of Maine

chad@oscar.cs.byu.edu (Chad) (06/21/91)

--
In article <91171.130842JGROVER@MAINE.MAINE.EDU>,
JGROVER@MAINE.MAINE.EDU (John Grover) writes:

|>If I want to use ris to install software, must I be using DECnet, or
|>can I accomplish this on a "normal" network.  ;-)

ris works over TCP networks.

Chad Leigh
Brigham Young University / on leave from DEC
chad@yvax.byu.edu /  chad@norge.enet.dec.com

jarrell@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Ron Jarrell) (06/21/91)

In article <91171.130842JGROVER@MAINE.MAINE.EDU> JGROVER@MAINE.MAINE.EDU (John Grover) writes:
>If I want to use ris to install software, must I be using DECnet, or
>can I accomplish this on a "normal" network.  ;-)

No, you don't need the decnet layered product.  It uses some "decnet"
pieces; i.e. the node database and the MOP protocol, but those pieces
come with base Ultrix.  You don't have to configure anything special
however; just make sure to load the UDTMOP* or ULTMOP* kit.  Once the
"mop download" has happened of the standalong ultrix kernal all you need
is TCP, cause the rest is done with rsh's and such.

--
Ron Jarrell
Virginia Tech Computing Center

karrer@bernina.ethz.ch (Andreas Karrer) (06/21/91)

JGROVER@MAINE.MAINE.EDU (John Grover) writes:

>If I want to use ris to install software, must I be using DECnet, or
>can I accomplish this on a "normal" network.  ;-)

Guess "normal" means IP.

You need sort of DECnet. all you need is the mop_mom listener on the RIS server.
This is in the standard distribution in subset UDTMOPnnn (ULTMOPnnn).

RIS doesn't work thru routers, though, since MOP cannot be routed and
because the mini-unix that is downloaded as the first step in the installation
procedure.

BTW are there any boot protocols that CAN be routed by a normal IP
router?