[comp.unix.ultrix] Blank lines in config files

stodola@orion.fccc.edu (Robert K. Stodola) (06/21/91)

In article <8736@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett)
writes:

>	Guess what I just found out the hard way?  If you have any blank
>lines in /etc/inetd.conf, then inetd silently refuses to start up.
>In fact, it returns a "success" exit code (0) and then dies.
>
>	I hope this information helps somebody.  I just pulled my hair out
>over it.

To save some more hair: when you are using a distributed password file using
the Hesiod name server and leave a blank line at the end of the src/passwd
file and then type 'make passwd', everything seems OK, but the name server
decides there is an error in the database and won't update secondary servers.

Didn't lose any hair, but did lose a largish number of hours on it.
--

stodola@fccc.edu -- Robert K. Stodola (occasionally) speaks for himself.

lat@snoopy.cs.vt.edu (Laurie Zirkle) (06/21/91)

i don't know if this is still a problem or not, but dbm did NOT like
blank lines in files.  it took a long time for us to figure out why
NIS (then called YP) bombed on everything in our /etc/services file.

laurie