[comp.unix.ultrix] shared modems on RISC

trost@reed.edu (06/20/91)

Can someone send me the information on things to do/not do when using
shared modems?  I can't figure out how to make a modem work at all (at
least for tip); "uucpsetup -m" doesn't edit /etc/remote correctly, for
starters.

Thanks!

jack@ceadg.UUCP (jack) (06/21/91)

In article <TROST.91Jun19165920@vishnu.reed.edu> trost@reed.edu writes:
>Can someone send me the information on things to do/not do when using
>shared modems?  I can't figure out how to make a modem work at all (at
>least for tip); "uucpsetup -m" doesn't edit /etc/remote correctly, for
>starters.
>
>Thanks!
please either port to news or also copy me on any and all suggestions
I am working with a very flexible but not dec modem trying to do the
same thing.
thanx, Jack

| wb3ffv!ceadg!jack               | this space unintentionally left blank |
| Computer Engineering Associates |                                       |
| Baltimore Md.                   |                                       |

weis@netmbx.UUCP (Dietmar Weis) (06/23/91)

trost@reed.edu writes:

>Can someone send me the information on things to do/not do when using
>shared modems?  I can't figure out how to make a modem work at all (at
>least for tip); "uucpsetup -m" doesn't edit /etc/remote correctly, for
>starters.

>Thanks!

Only information for cu follows:

I do it with the documented, but not explained "cu -t".
It will connect you directly on to the modem IF there is the right cu0 entry
in /etc/remote including the right tc (table continue) entry.
Right means matching speed and tty.

I think you don't even need to edit any of the uucp-lib files, as far as
I've experienced, for OUTGOING calls, if you have a Hayes (compatible) modem
with it's own command set.

(Well, if you wanna use "cu remotesystem" with autodialing, you have
to edit at least the L.sys and L-devices files, you can inspect the
/etc/acucap file for the used modem initializations. RTFM.)

For INCOMING calls you need nothing but a getty.

You have to configure your modem for "DSR follows RS232 specs", usually &S1
on a Hayes modem, or your getty will block. Don't use "DSR forced on" &S0.

(Modem configuration and RS232 signal handling on Ultrix (and VMS) is
NOWHERE >:-( documtented in any Docs, but fortunately is the DS200 manual
a good place to look for. I think chapter 5, "about modem control".
This information seems to apply also on the VAX'es and RISC's RS232 ports.)

So far so good. But the "shared" mechanism does NOT work properly.
(It does not work with Ultrix 3.1, 4.0 and 4.1)
Let me explain: of course, you can dial out with a getty running, but
afterwards your modem control for that device is turnded off. That means,
although the getty is still running, the modem won't answer an incoming
call, 'cos it won't recognize the ring. Now you have to edit /etc/ttys,
kill -1 1 a thousand times until the modem control is turned on again.
A reboot is faster. That means: call out - reboot - call in.

*** Perhaps someone of DEC Support could tell how to do it better? ***

That's it.

Dietmar
--
weis@netmbx.UUCP         | Dietmar Weis         DONOP CONSULT GmbH
Voice: 030/884 28 54-0   |                      Uhlandstrasse 179/180