[comp.unix.ultrix] Legality of Posting Received E-Mail to Netnews?

dbrillha@dave.mis.semi.harris.com (Dave Brillhart) (06/19/91)

Recently we had a minor Notes (similar to Netnews - general access
to postings but limited to our company) war. A manager responded
to one of the parties involved via direct E-Mail. This party posted the
E-Mail message to the "world" and followed it with comments about it's
patronizing tone...

Besides the obvious ethical problems,  are there any legal ramifications
to this action?

-- Dave Brillhart
     Harris Semiconductor

dag@fciva.FRANKCAP.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.135529.25984@mlb.semi.harris.com> dcb@dave.mis.semi.harris.com writes:
>[...]A manager responded
>to one of the parties involved via direct E-Mail. This party posted the
>E-Mail message to the "world" [...]
>
>Besides the obvious ethical problems,  are there any legal ramifications
>to this action?

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe I heard somewhere that mail, once sent, is
considered to be property of the recipient unless the originator explicitly
makes a prior claim of copyright.  (ie. If I send a copyrighted article I've
written to a magazine editor, I don't loose my copyright by that action.)

Just as in spoken conversation, it's a private matter between the two parties.
If you are told something that's explicitly in confidence, it's up to
your sense of ethics whether or not it should be revealed to others.  A
manager that criticizes an employee without explicityly asking that the
criticism remain in confidence can assume it will be discussed with other
employees.

Dan
--
Daniel A. Graifer			Coastal Capital Funding Corp.
Sr. Vice President, Financial Systems	7900 Westpark Dr. Suite A-130

gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.135529.25984@mlb.semi.harris.com> dcb@dave.mis.semi.harris.com writes:
>Recently we had a minor Notes (similar to Netnews - general access
>to postings but limited to our company) war. A manager responded
>to one of the parties involved via direct E-Mail. This party posted the
>E-Mail message to the "world" and followed it with comments about it's
>patronizing tone...

>Besides the obvious ethical problems,  are there any legal ramifications
>to this action?

As long as the authorship was properly attributed, there would be no
violation of copyright laws, I think. Otherwise, unless the company
had guaranteed privacy under the ECPA, I don't see anything illegal
about it. You could have your corporate counsel look into it.

BTW, I think it's more a matter of convention, rather than ethics,
where posting of email is concerned.

--
Gary Heston   System Mismanager and technoflunky   uunet!sci34hub!gary or
My opinions, not theirs.    SCI Systems, Inc.       gary@sci34hub.sci.com

frank@croton.nyo.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (06/20/91)

In article <610@fciva.FRANKCAP.COM>, dag@fciva.FRANKCAP.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) writes:

|>I'm not a lawyer, but I believe I heard somewhere that mail, once sent, is
|>considered to be property of the recipient unless the originator explicitly
|>makes a prior claim of copyright.

I'd check your sources if I were you.  If memory serves, there have been a
number of recent cases which seemed to establish exactly the opposite:
that letters are the property of the *sender*  (who is, afterall, the author of
the letter, just as a writer is the author of a book).

Be very careful when you make statements about copyright, patent, or other
intellectual property law.  It's too easy to get into BIG TROUBLE.  If you have
any doubts or questions about copyright or other legal issues, consult a lawyer.
You could save yourself tremendous amounts of legal grief.

If anyone cares to continue this topic, I've directed followups to misc.legal.
They certainly don't belong in comp.unix.ultrix.

					Frank

					"Next case!"  :-)

burns@endor.uucp (John Burns) (06/22/91)

dag@fciva.UUCP (Daniel A. Graifer) writes:

>I'm not a lawyer, but I believe I heard somewhere that mail, once sent, is
>considered to be property of the recipient unless the originator explicitly
>makes a prior claim of copyright.  (ie. If I send a copyrighted article I've
>written to a magazine editor, I don't loose my copyright by that action.)

No, the writer retains copyright unless explicitly transferred.  When you
submit an article to a journal that wants the copyright for itself they
make you sign a document transferring the copyright to them.  The document
itself is subject to ordinary property laws;  in the case of e-mail, the
medium is a computer that already belongs to someone.  In the case of
regular letters, the piece of paper belongs to the recipient, but the
copyright for the words written on it belongs to the writer.

Since the manager has the copyright, it's technically illegal to publish
it.  On the other hand, since the intent was to illustrate what the
manager's ideas (non-copyrightable) were, not to derive benefit from
publishing the particular expression (copyrighted), the grounds for a
lawsuit are extremely weak.

>Just as in spoken conversation, it's a private matter between the two parties.
>If you are told something that's explicitly in confidence, it's up to
>your sense of ethics whether or not it should be revealed to others.

Just so.  I don't think the law has a real foothold here until the manager
decides to fire the employee for insubordination, in which case the letter
and its republication may provide evidence for either side in a suit over
unjust termination.

Disclaimer:  I'm not a lawyer.  Harvard has enough already.

John A. Burns (burns@thurifer.harvard.edu, burns@huche1.bitnet)

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (06/23/91)

In article <2247@riscy.enet.dec.com>, frank@croton.nyo.dec.com (Frank Wortner) writes:

> Be very careful when you make statements about copyright, patent, or
> other  intellectual  property  law.   It's  too easy to get into BIG
> TROUBLE.  If you have any doubts or  questions  about  copyright  or
> other  legal  issues,  consult  a  lawyer.   You could save yourself
> tremendous amounts of legal grief.
>
> If anyone cares to continue this topic, I've directed  followups  to
> misc.legal.  They certainly don't belong in comp.unix.ultrix.

Well, now, I don't think I agree with this.  Case in point:  I've been
involved  is some discussions recently that derive from my attempts to
make some sense out of our email mess.  The basic problem  here  isn't
that  we need a good email package.  The problem is that we have a lot
of them, each one by itself quite usable, but  incompatible  with  its
neighbors.   When  you  try  to get cooperation from the supporters of
each, you invariably get a lot of suggestions  that  if  you  had  any
brains  at  all,  you  would  just  use package ______ and those other
turkeys should just slink off into the bushes and quietly die, and you
are an idiot for not seeing this.

This is, of course, just a lot of arrogant insults, and when  I  point
this  out,  I  invariably  get a lot of "What the hell are you talking
about, turkey?" responses.  So I collect some of the most insulting of
the lot and mail or post them, together with the observation that this
is not helping to solve the problems.

It seems to me that this is quite germane to the problem at hand. Note
that the problem  isn't  technical.   The  problem  is  the  arrogant,
insulting and uncooperative nature of many of the people that you have
to deal with to get a job done.  It really  helps  to  illustrate  the
problem if you can publish quotes. If this is illegal, then the people
that are the cause of the problems can continue to get away with their
actions, and we can't solve the problems.

How many times have we seen "RTFM" when it is obvious that the  writer
had tried TFM and not understood it?

--
All opinions Copyright (c) 1991 by John Chambers.  Inquire for licensing at:
Home: 1-617-484-6393 ...!{bu.edu,harvard.edu,ima.com,eddie.mit.edu,ora.com}!minya!jc