[net.news.group] net.games.go - last call

ucbesvax.turner@ucbcad.UUCP (12/20/83)

#N:ucbesvax:6600012:000:2151
ucbesvax!turner    Dec 13 15:15:00 1983

Here is a summary of reponses I have received about my proposal for
a newsgroup devoted to the game of GO.  (I have lost the original
text--if someone could append it as a reply to this note, I would
appreciate it.)  Apologies in advance to any respondent who didn't
wish to be quoted.  The last response is notable--it says I'm hard
to mail to, suggesting that others tried to reach me and gave up.

I have received no negative responses, either by mail or posted to
newsgroups.

1.  From bukys@Rochester.ARPA Wed Nov  2 05:36:31 1983
    From: Liudvikas Bukys  <bukys@Rochester.ARPA>

    Sounds good to me.  An AYE vote to net.games.go.  Go wild!

2.  From tektronix!decvax!bbncca!keesan Wed Nov  2 18:56:18 1983

    I'm for it.
			Morris Keesan
			decvax!bbncca!keesan
    [...]

3.  From mark%umcp-cs@CSNet-Relay Fri Nov  4 00:57:42 1983
    From: Mark Weiser <mark%umcp-cs@CSNet-Relay>
    Subject:  go group.

    I'm interested.
    -------------
    spoken:	mark weiser (5Q mark)
    UUCP:	{seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!mark
    CSNet:	mark@umcp-cs
    ARPA:	mark.umcp-cs@CSNet-Relay

4.  From ucbvax!lbl-csam!uw-beaver!ubc-vision!sample Sat Nov  5 00:11:15 1983
    From: Rick Sample <ucbvax!lbl-csam!ubc-vision!sample>

    I would be interested in net.games.go.

				    Rick Sample
				    ubc-vision!sample
				    sample@ubc (CSNET)

5.  From decvax!idis!dan Tue Nov  8 01:00:48 1983

    I would like to see a newsgroup for the game of GO.

			    Dan Strick
			    [decvax|mcnc]!idis!dan

6.  From ucbvax!decvax!microsof!ubc-vision!mprvaxa!tbray \
						Mon Nov 14 03:25:19 1983

    1. You're bloody hard to mail to...
    2. YES for net.games.go.  Using the net to actually PLAY go would be a
       ridiculous waste of bandwidth... unless one cooked up a highly
       compressed representation of the board... encoded in printable ascii...
       hmm... now I'm thinking about it.
    [...]

Will some kind-hearted person create net.games.go?
---
Michael Turner (ucbvax!ucbesvax.turner)