[net.music] Three Great Albums

elf@utcsri.UUCP (Eugene Fiume) (08/20/85)

				[]

Since no one has yet mentioned these gems on the net, I consider it
my duty to let you all know that these three in my hand are worth more
than one K. Bush.

You aesthetes out there are of course welcome to substitute any
non-commital adjective you like for "great".

Shriekback: _Oil and Gold_.  Runs the gamut from solid electrofunk
to minimal atmospherics.  Unlike their previous albums (also excellent),
this album has been released domestically (Canada).  I can't get the cassette
out of my deck.  It keeps rewinding and playing, rewinding and playing.  Yum.
My second favourite album of the year so far (after _This Mortal Coil_).

Sly and Robbie: _Language Barrier_.  Runs the gamut from funk to funk.
The masters of reggae dub have gone more intensely for a funk groove.
I don't know how well it will wear on me, but the first half-dozen
listens have been exciting as hell.

Sam Cooke Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963: _One Night Stand_.
For the life of me I can't understand why no one has mentioned this
album yet.  I suppose we're much too sophisticated to listen to someone
just singing his heart out.  It's easy to be cynical about Boy George, George
Michaels, Paul Young, et al., after you've given this album a listen.  This is
a Sam Cooke I've never heard before: rawer, intense, involved.  A joy of an
album, I'm not embarassed to say.  Now why did it take them 22 years to
release it and why is it only one LP?

Ciao,

Eugene Fiume
{decvax|allegra}!utcsri!elf

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (08/28/85)

> From: elf@utcsri.UUCP (Eugene Fiume)

> Since no one has yet mentioned these gems on the net, I consider it
> my duty to let you all know that these three in my hand are worth more
> than one K. Bush.

> Shriekback: _Oil and Gold_.

Gee, I've mentioned Shriekback before....  They are quite good!  Not
worth 1 K Bush, though.  Maybe 0.000001 K Bush.

> My second favourite album of the year so far (after _This Mortal Coil_).

Gee, did you know that the song "Another Day" on This Mortal Coil's
album (which is also quite good) is a cover of a Roy Harper song!  Did
you know that this is one of Kate Bush's very favorite songs?  (Mine
too!)  Did you know that Kate Bush has covered this song?  Gee, your
favorite album of the year has a song that has been performed by Kate
Bush on it!

				"And at the door, we can't say more
				 Than just 'Another day'"

				 Doug Alan
				  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

elf@utcsri.UUCP (Eugene Fiume) (08/31/85)

> Gee, did you know that the song "Another Day" on This Mortal Coil's
> album (which is also quite good) is a cover of a Roy Harper song!  Did
> you know that this is one of Kate Bush's very favorite songs?  (Mine
> too!)  Did you know that Kate Bush has covered this song?  Gee, your
> favorite album of the year has a song that has been performed by Kate
> Bush on it!
>
> 				"And at the door, we can't say more
> 				 Than just 'Another day'"
>
> 				 Doug Alan
> 				  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

I believe Mr. Alan actually means something when he blathers like this.
The subtlety of the man is a true marvel of the Western world.
His ability to insult the intelligence of music lovers everywhere
is unparalleled.

Did you know that, of all people, Robert Plant, said that
_This Mortal Coil_ is one of his three "desert island records".
And let's see now, Robbie is a friend of Roy, who's had a song
covered by This Mortal Coil, which is also performed by Katy.
Hmmmmmm.  The mind boggles at these cosmic connections.  Perhaps
Mr. Alan could help us out.

Breathlessly awaiting Enlightenment,

Eugene Fiume