[comp.unix.ultrix] How to config an FDDI link in addition to existing ethernet?

torstein@nic.forut.no (Torstein Meyer) (06/25/91)

We have tried out a number of sollutions, though admitting a lack of
internet and routing know-how. Our set up is :

---- ethernet --------|------------------------|-----------------
		     le0                      le0
                 eldo.forut.no             rado.forut.no
		     fza0                     fza0
                      |========= fddi =========|

Both eldo and rado being DEC Station 5000/200 running Ultrix 4.1 with
fddi adapters and ethernet adapters installed.
How do we set up this to avoid any traffic accross the fddi segment but
the traffic between eldo and rado, still being able to perform any nor-
mal ethernet(tcp/ip) traffic using the common ethernet ????

Any solutions or hints are welcome concerning
	ifconfig
	/etc/hosts
	/etc/networks
	/etc/rc.local
	routed ?

Our attepmts often gave odd warnings, such as ....
# ping feldo
feldo.fddi is alive
# ping nic
icp->icmp_type  (5)  !=  ICMP_ECHOREPLY (0)
nic.forut.no is alive
# ifconfig fza0 down

Torstein Meyer	torstein@forit.forut.no	+47 83 80 150
Syst.cons	FORUT-IT		+47 83 82 420 (fax)
		Box 2806 Elverhoy	N-9001 Tromsoe

In article <torstein.677787597@nic.forut.no> torstein@nic.forut.no (Torstein Meyer) writes:
>---- ethernet --------|------------------------|-----------------
>		     le0                      le0
>                 eldo.forut.no             rado.forut.no
>		     fza0                     fza0
>                      |========= fddi =========|

>How do we set up this to avoid any traffic accross the fddi segment but
>the traffic between eldo and rado, still being able to perform any nor-
>mal ethernet(tcp/ip) traffic using the common ethernet ????

If eldo and rado's ethernet interfaces are connected to the same subnet, as
indicated in your diagram, you shouldn't need to do anything.  The fddi
segment will always add a hop to any route to any other host on the
ethernet, so it should never be chosen.

You can make sure that eldo and rado are never used as gateways by
specifying the "-q" option to routed, which prevents them from broadcasting
their routing tables.

>Our attepmts often gave odd warnings, such as ....
># ping feldo
>feldo.fddi is alive

I assume "feldo" is the name you've given to eldo's fddi address?

># ping nic
>icp->icmp_type  (5)  !=  ICMP_ECHOREPLY (0)
>nic.forut.no is alive

ICMP type 5 is a redirect.  Your default gateway was simply informing you
of a better gateway to use to get to nic.forut.no.  You haven't given any
reason for me to think this is unreasonable.

># ifconfig fza0 down

Did you mean to show the behavior resulting from shutting down the fddi
interface?
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com