[comp.unix.ultrix] rshd in Ultrix 4.2

farhad@CS.Stanford.EDU (Farhad Shakeri) (06/26/91)

Hi,

Does anybody have problem with rshd under Ultrix 4.2 ?

When I try to execute a command like "rsh machine ls " ,
I always get "Permission denied.",  but rlogin works fine.

If I grabe the rshd from Ultrix 4.1 then everything is fine.

Thanks in advance.
      /   Farhad  Shakeri         E-Mail:                  /
     /  Stanford   University     farhad@CS.Stanford.EDU  /
    / Computer Science Department                        /

mellon@nigiri.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon) (06/26/91)

>When I try to execute a command like "rsh machine ls " ,
>I always get "Permission denied.",  but rlogin works fine.
>If I grabe the rshd from Ultrix 4.1 then everything is fine.

I've had a similar problem.   I don't know if this is the same problem
you're experiencing, but you might want to try it.   The problem is
that the ruserok() function has been hacked in 4.2 to allow kerberos
authentication as well as the old .rhosts authentication.   In doing
this, a bug was introduced that requires that all the hostnames in
/etc/resolv.conf also appear in /etc/hosts - otherwise, the
authentication fails, even though BIND service is generally
functional.

I thought that this was going to be mentioned in the release notes -
did they neglect to include this information?

			       _MelloN_

In article <MELLON.91Jun25142201@nigiri.pa.dec.com>, mellon@nigiri.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon) writes:

|> >When I try to execute a command like "rsh machine ls " ,
|> >I always get "Permission denied.",  but rlogin works fine.
|> >If I grabe the rshd from Ultrix 4.1 then everything is fine.
|>
|> I've had a similar problem.   I don't know if this is the same problem
|> you're experiencing, but you might want to try it.   The problem is
|> that the ruserok() function has been hacked in 4.2 to allow kerberos
|> authentication as well as the old .rhosts authentication.   In doing
|> this, a bug was introduced that requires that all the hostnames in
|> /etc/resolv.conf also appear in /etc/hosts - otherwise, the
|> authentication fails, even though BIND service is generally
|> functional.
|>
|> I thought that this was going to be mentioned in the release notes -
|> did they neglect to include this information?
|>
|> 			       _MelloN_

Yapp, it works fine now.

I do not know if the info was neglected because my manuals have
not arrived yet!

Thanks alot!