[comp.unix.ultrix] Installing tcsh on Ultrix 4.1?

lau@desci.wharton.upenn.edu (Yan K. Lau) (06/25/91)

How do I install tcsh on DECstations running Ultrix 4.1?
Where can I get the sources?  Is there a set that is ready-made
to compile under Ultrix?  One of our users got the source from
somewhere else on campus but I'm having problems compiling it.
Also, the readme says that I need the sources for 4.3 BSD csh.
I'm not sure if I have this; does it come with Ultrix?
I looked up on the archie server and that were many places with
tcsh, which is the best?  Also, I saw already compiled binaries.
Should I use those?  But they were version specific.  Am I going
to need another version when we go to 4.2?  Is it maintainable?

Yan.
--
   )~  Yan K. Lau    lau@kings.wharton.upenn.edu      The Wharton School
 ~/~   Sheenaphile           128.91.11.233       University of Pennsylvania

joern@imf.unit.no (Joern Amundsen) (06/26/91)

> How do I install tcsh on DECstations running Ultrix 4.1?
> Where can I get the sources?  Is there a set that is ready-made
> to compile under Ultrix?  One of our users got the source from
> somewhere else on campus but I'm having problems compiling it.
> Also, the readme says that I need the sources for 4.3 BSD csh.
> I'm not sure if I have this; does it come with Ultrix?
> I looked up on the archie server and that were many places with
> tcsh, which is the best?  Also, I saw already compiled binaries.
> Should I use those?  But they were version specific.  Am I going
> to need another version when we go to 4.2?  Is it maintainable?

Why compile when you can just copy the binaries from tesla ?
I would suggest copying a binary from tesla.ee.cornell.edu, install it in
your-local-binary, add an entry in /etc/shells and enjoy.

From the ``FAQ.tcsh'':
    Csh sources are not public domain. If you do not have an AT&T V3.2 source
    licence or better, you are stuck.

I copied the binary for use with 4.0 on our DECStation 3100, it still
works quite well after installing 4.1. Can't see why it shouldn't still work
with 4.2.
Anyway, after enjoying tcsh for a while, I switched to the GNU bash. A very
nice and powerful shell, and free. Highly recommended.

-joern

  |  Joern Amundsen                                    |
  |  Department of Mathematical Sciences,              |
  |  The Norwegian Institute of Technology,            |
  |  N-7034 Trondheim,                                 |
  |  Norway                                            |
  |                                                    |
  |  email: joern@imf.unit.no or joern@sima.sintef.no  |
  |  Phone: +47-7-59-2092 Fax: +47-7-59-2971 or -3524  |

heine@barsoom.nhh.no (Heine Rasmussen) (06/26/91)

In <JOERN.91Jun26105117@hufsa.imf.unit.no> joern@imf.unit.no (Joern Amundsen) writes:

>I copied the binary for use with 4.0 on our DECStation 3100, it still
>works quite well after installing 4.1. Can't see why it shouldn't still work
>with 4.2.

After installing 4.2 on a 5000/120, tcsh didn't work.  The problem is
that when you try to login from the console (:0), /usr/bin/login
spawns a shell with the argument "-c exec /usr/bin/dxsession".  At
this point, stdin and stdout are not open (I believe); this is
something new in 4.2.  tcsh will then crash, even if stdin and stdout
are not needed to do the job.

This problem may have been fixed in newer versions of tcsh.

-heine
--
Heine Rasmussen  ---  <sam_hr@debet.nhh.no> or <heine@laan.nhh.no>
Center for Research in Economics and Business Administration

nsf@crl.dec.com (Neil Fishman) (06/27/91)

In article <JOERN.91Jun26105117@hufsa.imf.unit.no>, joern@imf.unit.no (Joern Amundsen) writes:

> > How do I install tcsh on DECstations running Ultrix 4.1?
> > Where can I get the sources?  Is there a set that is ready-made
> > to compile under Ultrix?  One of our users got the source from
> > somewhere else on campus but I'm having problems compiling it.
> > Also, the readme says that I need the sources for 4.3 BSD csh.
> > I'm not sure if I have this; does it come with Ultrix?
> > I looked up on the archie server and that were many places with
> > tcsh, which is the best?  Also, I saw already compiled binaries.
> > Should I use those?  But they were version specific.  Am I going
> > to need another version when we go to 4.2?  Is it maintainable?
>
> Why compile when you can just copy the binaries from tesla ?
> I would suggest copying a binary from tesla.ee.cornell.edu, install it in
> your-local-binary, add an entry in /etc/shells and enjoy.
>
> From the ``FAQ.tcsh'':
>     Csh sources are not public domain. If you do not have an AT&T V3.2 source
>     licence or better, you are stuck.
>
> I copied the binary for use with 4.0 on our DECStation 3100, it still
> works quite well after installing 4.1. Can't see why it shouldn't still work
> with 4.2.
> Anyway, after enjoying tcsh for a while, I switched to the GNU bash. A very
> nice and powerful shell, and free. Highly recommended.
>
> -joern
> --

You will need a new version when you move to 4.2   Changes were made in the Ultrix upgrade which cause the regular tcsh to fail.  There is a patched version
of the shell (which should work on 4.1) on crl in pub/misc/tcsh-5.20  If you
are interested in the source patches which I posted last week, I can email those to you.

--
Neil Fishman					Cambridge Research Lab
nsf@crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.