[comp.unix.ultrix] Which file defines subsets?

lmtack@unocal.unocal.com (Les Tack) (06/27/91)

Which Ultrix file contains the subset definitions. I would like to edit
it to remove some of the subsets.

In article <1991Jun26.214315.18622@unocal.com> lmtack@unocal.unocal.com (Les Tack) writes:
> Which Ultrix file contains the subset definitions. I would like to edit
> it to remove some of the subsets.

Subsets (descriptions) are stored as filesets in /usr/etc/subsets.  Assuming
ou simply want to clean out descriptions of un-installed subsets, just delete
the files.  If you actually want to remove an installed subset, you need to
use setld to back out the subset.  Note that this should be considered "risky",
since undoing is often more complicated and error prone than installing.

for DNPBASE030 subset:  (DECnet/Ultrix RISC)

/usr/etc/subsets/DNPBASE030.ctrl
/usr/etc/subsets/DNPBASE030.inv
/usr/etc/subsets/DNPBASE030.lk
/usr/etc/subsets/DNPBASE030.scp

Note that the .lk file is only present when the subset has been installed,
in fact creating a .lk file is the way to fool setld into believing a
subst has been installed when there is a bogus pre-requisite requirement.

Also, the .ctrl file has the title of the subset and information about where
the file is on the release tape, while the .inv file is directory of the
files in the subsets, giving both names and disk requrements.  The .scp file
is an optional shell script extension to setld for special installation /
removal actions.