[comp.unix.ultrix] rlogin problem on DEC3100 running ultrix 4.1

amit@osceola.cs.ucf.edu (Amit Jain) (06/21/91)

We have a DECstation 3100 running ULTRIX 4.1  in a network of mostly
SPARCstations and Sun-3 workstations. The problem is when I rlogin
from the DECstation to one of the sun-4's it seems to hang. I did
an etherfind and it shows the two machines exchanging packets
and in fact on the sun-4 I can see my self logged in and the
packets show the usual login messages being sent but nothing ever
appears on the DECstation window. Also this problem is not
consistent, i.e. does not happen all the time, but about 75% of the
time. If anybody has any clue, I will appreciate hearing about it.

Amit

jroyea@itu203.kodak.com (James E. Royea) (06/26/91)

In article <amit.677440916@osceola.cs.ucf.edu> amit@osceola.cs.ucf.edu (Amit Jain) writes:

>We have a DECstation 3100 running ULTRIX 4.1  in a network of mostly
>SPARCstations and Sun-3 workstations. The problem is when I rlogin
>from the DECstation to one of the sun-4's it seems to hang. I did
>an etherfind and it shows the two machines exchanging packets
>and in fact on the sun-4 I can see my self logged in and the
>packets show the usual login messages being sent but nothing ever
>appears on the DECstation window. Also this problem is not
>consistent, i.e. does not happen all the time, but about 75% of the
>time. If anybody has any clue, I will appreciate hearing about it.
>
>Amit

I would like to hear about it also.  I am using a DECstation 5000-200 running
ULTRIX 4.2, and I am having the same problem.  Thanks.

	-Jamie

amit@cs.ucf.edu (Amit Jain) (06/26/91)

In <amit.677440916@osceola.cs.ucf.edu> amit@osceola.cs.ucf.edu (Amit Jain) writes:

>We have a DECstation 3100 running ULTRIX 4.1  in a network of mostly
>SPARCstations and Sun-3 workstations. The problem is when I rlogin
>from the DECstation to one of the sun-4's it seems to hang. I did
>an etherfind and it shows the two machines exchanging packets
>and in fact on the sun-4 I can see my self logged in and the
>packets show the usual login messages being sent but nothing ever
>appears on the DECstation window. Also this problem is not
>consistent, i.e. does not happen all the time, but about 75% of the
>time. If anybody has any clue, I will appreciate hearing about it.

>Amit

Here is one workaround  I have

Subject: rlogin problem on DEC3100 running ultrix 4.

I don't know the fix to the problem (it has to do with TCP problems
on the SPARC end), but a work-around is to put the job into background
and then into foreground, e.g..

[unix] rlogin crufty-sun4 &
[unix] fg %1

However I got a copy of rlogin program from Berkeley BSD 4.3 distribution
and compiled it on the DEC3100 (running ULTRIX 4.1) and it works fine.
So one solution would be to get rlogin.c and compile it on your
DEC3100.

jkays@msc.edu (Jeffrey Kays) (06/26/91)

In article <amit.677440916@osceola.cs.ucf.edu>, amit@osceola.cs.ucf.edu (Amit Jain) writes:

 > We have a DECstation 3100 running ULTRIX 4.1  in a network of mostly
 > SPARCstations and Sun-3 workstations. The problem is when I rlogin
 > from the DECstation to one of the sun-4's it seems to hang. I did
 > an etherfind and it shows the two machines exchanging packets
 > and in fact on the sun-4 I can see my self logged in and the
 > packets show the usual login messages being sent but nothing ever
 > appears on the DECstation window. Also this problem is not
 > consistent, i.e. does not happen all the time, but about 75% of the
 > time. If anybody has any clue, I will appreciate hearing about it.
 >
 > Amit

There is a known Ultrix 4.x bug that causes DECstations to hang when
rlogin'ing to Suns. You should call DEC support and get a tape with the
fixed rlogin.

  jeff

--

Jeff Kays				E-Mail: jkays@msc.edu
Minnesota Supercomputer Center		 Phone: (612) 626-1824

		"May fortune favor the foolish"

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/28/91)

In article <amit.677440916@osceola.cs.ucf.edu> amit@osceola.cs.ucf.edu (Amit Jain) writes:

>We have a DECstation 3100 running ULTRIX 4.1  in a network of mostly
>SPARCstations and Sun-3 workstations. The problem is when I rlogin
>from the DECstation to one of the sun-4's it seems to hang. I did
>an etherfind and it shows the two machines exchanging packets
>and in fact on the sun-4 I can see my self logged in and the
>packets show the usual login messages being sent but nothing ever
>appears on the DECstation window. Also this problem is not
>consistent, i.e. does not happen all the time, but about 75% of the
>time. If anybody has any clue, I will appreciate hearing about it.

I had the same problem also but it stopped happening when I started to
log on to Sparc2 machines. I do not know if it is a Sparc1, 1+ problem
or a DEC problem though.
--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems