[comp.unix.ultrix] Help! Telnet is broken under Ultrix 4.1

smw@alcor.concordia.ca ( Steven Winikoff ) (06/27/91)

All of a sudden users can no longer use telnet to connect to Alcor,
our DECsystem 5500 running Ultrix 4.1.

Telnet out *from* Alcor to other systems works.

Telnet from any system *to* Alcor fails in the following way, even
when I try it from Alcor to itself:

   Trying...
   Connected to alcor.
   Escape character is '^]'.
   Connection closed by foreign host.

Telnet to other ports on Alcor works (eg # telnet Alcor 25).

When telnet fails, telnetd leaves a core dump in /etc.  (I don't know
enough about dbx or core dump formats to be able to learn anything
from this.)

Telnet used to work properly.  I don't know exactly how long it's
been broken, but I learned of the problem on June 19th.

On June 17th I had installed the DECnet/Internet gateway (using
# setld -c DNPINETGW400 INSTALL).

On June 18th I'd modified our /etc/hosts file.

However, editing /etc/inetd.conf to use telnetd instead of telnetd.gw
does NOT solve the problem.  Neither does restoring the previous
/etc/hosts.

I've reached the limit of my knowledge of telnet and IP configuration.
I have a service call in to the DEC software hotline, but so far they
too have been unable to help.

Does anyone know what's going on?  Help!!!

Thanks in advance,

  - Steven

Steven Winikoff                                 smw@alcor.concordia.ca
Software Analyst
Dept. of Computing Services
Concordia University                            voice: (514) 848-7619
Montreal, Quebec, Canada                               (10:00-18:00 EST)

dbgwab@edp130edp.arco.com (Bill Bailey) (06/28/91)

Here's the scoop on your telnet problems. If you look in /etc you will
see that there is no link to /usr/etc/telnetd. Inetd tries to start
/etc/telnetd and can't find it. All that you need to do is add a link
thus : ln -s /usr/etc/telnetd /etc/telnetd.
That should fix you up.

--
Bill Bailey <dbgwab@arco.com>
Voice : (214) 754-6779

smw@trm.concordia.ca ( Steven Winikoff ) (06/28/91)

In <1991Jun27.202802.13556@Arco.COM> dbgwab@edp130edp.arco.com (Bill Bailey) writes:

>Here's the scoop on your telnet problems. If you look in /etc you will
>see that there is no link to /usr/etc/telnetd. Inetd tries to start
>/etc/telnetd and can't find it. All that you need to do is add a link
>thus : ln -s /usr/etc/telnetd /etc/telnetd.
>That should fix you up.

Actually, while that's a good thought, it wasn't the problem in this
particular case -- although I do thank you for taking the time to help.

In fact, I found the answer myself late last night.  It had to do with
the fact that I'd recently installed a getty replacement (motive: the
ability to do baud detection on carriage returns instead of BREAKs),
and that at the same time I replaced /etc/gettytab with a new version
designed to work with the new getty.

Oops.  I didn't know that telnetd depends on /etc/gettytab.  Turns out
that it does, and that when it doesn't like /etc/gettytab, it dumps
core and dies silently.  Hint to DEC -- this isn't nice.  Either the
man page for telnetd(8) should indicate the dependency, or at least
a proper diagnostic should be issued -- preferably both.

- Steven