[comp.unix.ultrix] How to reset a uesr's password

qiangli@gauss.casr.fau.edu (Charlie Li) (06/26/91)

In case a user forgot his password, how can "root" help on this? vipw? How
to make the new password field entry?

I know at least I can removeuser and then adduser back on, but seems not
the best way to do it.

Thank you for your advice.

Charlie Li

craig@lark.zso.dec.com (Craig Horman) (06/26/91)

Use the passwd command. The format is

	passwd {username}

You need to be root at the time.

--
 Nom                    Platitude                     Stupid quote here
 de guerre                goes

yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun25.190902.4070@shark.uucp> qiangli@gauss.casr.fau.edu (Charlie Li) writes:
>In case a user forgot his password, how can "root" help on this? vipw? How
>to make the new password field entry?
>
>I know at least I can removeuser and then adduser back on, but seems not
>the best way to do it.
>
>Thank you for your advice.
>
>Charlie Li

Delete all the characters found between the first two ":" in the
etc/passwd
Then make a passwd for your user, then tell him/her what it is, then
tell that person to change it.

--
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn@chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems

chad@oscar.cs.byu.edu (Chad) (06/30/91)

--
In article <1014@lhdsy1.chevron.com>, yzarn@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip
Yzarn de Louraille) writes:
||>In article <1991Jun25.190902.4070@shark.uucp>
qiangli@gauss.casr.fau.edu (Charlie Li) writes:
|>>In case a user forgot his password, how can "root" help on this?
|>vipw? How
|>>to make the new password field entry?
|>>
|>>I know at least I can removeuser and then adduser back on, but seems
|>not
|>>the best way to do it.
|>>
|>>Thank you for your advice.
|>>
|>>Charlie Li
|>
|>Delete all the characters found between the first two ":" in the
|>etc/passwd
|>Then make a passwd for your user, then tell him/her what it is, then
|>tell that person to change it.
|>--
|>  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet:
|>yzarn@chevron.com
|>  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems
|>  Chevron Information & Technology Co.      Tel: (213) 694-9232
|>  P.O. Box 446, La Habra, CA 90633-0446     Fax: (213) 694-7709

Better yet, as root just
# passwd username

This will change the password for that user.

You don't need to delete anything from /etc/passwd.

Chad Leigh
Brigham Young University / on leave from DEC
chad@yvax.byu.edu /  chad@norge.enet.dec.com