[comp.unix.ultrix] trouble mounting cdrom

clyne@redcloud.scd.ucar.edu (John Clyne) (06/28/91)

I just installed ultrix 4.2 from cdrom. Thank you digital for not providing
an upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2. Doing a complete install really made my day (or
night i should say). After the installation i wanted to load all of our
unbundled software. Alas i was unable to mount our lovely new RRD40. If
I execute

	% mount /dev/rz4c/mnt

i get

	ufs_mount: /dev/rz4c on /mnt: Restricted operation on file system

If i execute

	% mount -t cdfs /dev/rz4c /mnt

I get

	cdfs_mount: Unknown descriptor type

Yes i do have

        options CDFS
        pseudo-device    cdfs

configured in the kernel.

Any ideas?

thanks much - jc

John Clyne 	(clyne@ncar.ucar.edu)
P.O. Box 3000, Boulder, Colorado 80307
(303) 497-1236

jroyea@itu203.kodak.com (James E. Royea) (06/28/91)

In article <11956@ncar.ucar.edu> clyne@redcloud.scd.ucar.edu (John Clyne) writes:
>I just installed ultrix 4.2 from cdrom. Thank you digital for not providing
>an upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2. Doing a complete install really made my day (or
>night i should say). After the installation i wanted to load all of our
>unbundled software. Alas i was unable to mount our lovely new RRD40. If
>I execute
>
>	% mount /dev/rz4c/mnt

Try mount -r /dev/rz4c /mnt
The cdrom is read only.

	-Jamie Royea            (jroyea@park.kodak.com)
                           (AI Lab, Eastman Kodak Company)

frank@croton.nyo.dec.com (Frank Wortner) (06/28/91)

In article <11956@ncar.ucar.edu>, clyne@redcloud.scd.ucar.edu (John Clyne) writes:

|>I execute
|>
|>	% mount /dev/rz4c/mnt
|>
|>i get
|>
|>	ufs_mount: /dev/rz4c on /mnt: Restricted operation on file system
|>
|>If i execute
|>
|>	% mount -t cdfs /dev/rz4c /mnt
|>
|>I get
|>
|>	cdfs_mount: Unknown descriptor type

Try

	% mount -r /dev/rz4c /mnt

The -r stands for "read-only."  That's what the "restricted operation" complaint
is about.

The file system type "cdfs" is for ISO 9660 format CDs.  The distribution CD is in
UNIFILE format.  That's what the "unknown descriptor type" message is complaining
about.

Hope this clears things up.

					Frank

henderson@esvax.hamavnet.com (06/28/91)

In article <11956@ncar.ucar.edu>, clyne@redcloud.scd.ucar.edu (John Clyne) writes:
> I just installed ultrix 4.2 from cdrom. Thank you digital for not providing
> an upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2. Doing a complete install really made my day (or
> night i should say). After the installation i wanted to load all of our
> unbundled software. Alas i was unable to mount our lovely new RRD40. If
> I execute
>
> 	% mount /dev/rz4c/mnt
>
> i get
>
> 	ufs_mount: /dev/rz4c on /mnt: Restricted operation on file system
>
> If i execute
>
> 	% mount -t cdfs /dev/rz4c /mnt
>
> I get
>
> 	cdfs_mount: Unknown descriptor type
(are you running 4.2? I understand the above -t cdfs qualifier only works with
4.2).

> Yes i do have
>
>         options CDFS
>         pseudo-device    cdfs
>
> configured in the kernel.
>

> Any ideas?

Yes, try

mount -r /dev/rz4c /mnt

Notice the -r indicating that it is a read only volume.

> thanks much - jc

You're welcome!

--
Javier Henderson	| henderson@esvax.hamavnet.com	| Wherever you go,
Avnet Computer		| decwrl!hamavnet!henderson	| there you are.

josevela@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) (06/30/91)

clyne@redcloud.scd.ucar.edu (John Clyne) writes:

>I just installed ultrix 4.2 from cdrom. Thank you digital for not providing
>an upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2. Doing a complete install really made my day (or
>night i should say). After the installation i wanted to load all of our
>unbundled software. Alas i was unable to mount our lovely new RRD40. If
>I execute

>	% mount /dev/rz4c/mnt

>i get

>	ufs_mount: /dev/rz4c on /mnt: Restricted operation on file system

>If i execute

>	% mount -t cdfs /dev/rz4c /mnt

>I get

>	cdfs_mount: Unknown descriptor type

 No , no you must do this :

  mount -r /dev/rz4c /mnt

 The -r opcion if for READ ONLY file systems...

 By the way our GUIDE to Upgrading from 4.0 to 4.1 was wrong !!!

 It says :

  mount -r /dev/rzN /mnt

 Where N is the unit LOGIC NUMBER

 It could say :