[comp.unix.ultrix] CD Rom? Or stick w/ TK50?

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (06/30/91)

I personally abhor installing from a TK50, but ..

I'm going to call our Dec rep tomorrow to order 2 DecStation 3100's;
at the same time, I want to ask him to add a Dec CD-Rom on it, for
installs. Only snag is, I don't know if I'll be able to sell our dept
head on it, as I did the systems themselves. (I haven't got a
DecDirect here, so I can't check the price right now.) Anyway, are
there any rumors of Dec dropping tape distributions, as Sun has?
That'd clinch the argument. :-)

Thanks for any ideas..
Brendan
--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone

In article <X_+AT8_@cs.widener.edu> brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
> I personally abhor installing from a TK50, but ..
>
> I'm going to call our Dec rep tomorrow to order 2 DecStation 3100's;
> at the same time, I want to ask him to add a Dec CD-Rom on it, for
> installs. Only snag is, I don't know if I'll be able to sell our dept
> head on it, as I did the systems themselves. (I haven't got a
> DecDirect here, so I can't check the price right now.) Anyway, are
> there any rumors of Dec dropping tape distributions, as Sun has?
> That'd clinch the argument. :-)

I got some mail on a special DEC CDROM+Ultrix Distribution deal.  Sounded
like just the ticket to me.  I don't know if DEC is ever going to drop
TK50 distribution, they've sold too many of the wreteched things and don't
seem much interseted in *affordable* CDROM drives for anything except
workstations, let alone any of the tradational VAXEN they still support.

I'd really like to see the TK50 go, at least with 6250BPI 9-track tape
distributions you could see why it was taking forever to suck in the
stuff.  8-)