[comp.sys.encore] subnetting under Umax ?

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (10/12/87)

From: george@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (George Jones)
>Does anyone know if it is possible to do subnetting with the software
>provided with UMAX 4.2 R2.1.2 (or any later release that I don't know
>about yet)

Thus far none of the Umax releases support subnetting, they have
indicated to us that it is forthcoming "real soon now".

The real question is, what do you mean by "do subnetting". For
example, we are subnetted here at BU across all networks and the four
Multimaxes are surviving while waiting for more support. One important
point is that none of the Multimaxes act as gateways (all use exactly
one ethernet interface) which reduces one sort of demand.

The other demand is routing to other parts of the subnet that need to
be directed at gateways. I am using a proxy arp daemon I wrote for the
Sun to assist with this, I could make the (3.4) binary available (it's
based on Sun's rarpd so I couldn't distribute sources, it's also tied
to the Sun by its use of their NIT protocol, basically you need some
way to multiplex/demultiplex broadcast packets from the applications
level.)

Even without this you could at least get to the local subnet, but
that might not be satisfactory (perfectly reasonable need.)

The only problem I've seen is that the Encore (as well as other
machines we have who are not up to subnetting) will arp at some rate
for things like broadcast addresses (see, they think that an address
like 128.197.2.0 is a HOST address), some of this sort of excess
arping can be minimized by setting the kernel variable ip_forwarding
to zero instead of it's default value of one (can be done with adb -w
on the binary easily, can not be done if the system uses more than one
interface and acts as a gateway, this is what ip_forwarding is for.)

Anyhow, depending on your model and available resources you either
have no problem at all or are totally sunk (until Encore releases a
subnet version of the kernel, which I hope is soon.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University