[comp.sys.encore] IEN-116 Name Server Port Address

robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) (10/31/87)

I was just about to install the IEN-116 name server that was supplied with
the Annex-UX 2.1 release (the new machine I installed yesterday didn't support
'rwho' and no, we don't have the 'bind' server), when I realized that I didn't
know the port number and protocol that the IEN-116 server uses. Could
someone please give me some information about this?

Thanks,

Robert

loverso@encore.UUCP (John LoVerso) (11/02/87)

In an article robert@pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) writes:
> I was just about to install the IEN-116 name server that was supplied with
> the Annex-UX 2.1 release, when I realized that I didn't know the port number
> and protocol that the IEN-116 server uses.

Its port 42, UDP.  The UDP should've been guessable from the code,
but you wouldn't have found the 42 unless you peeked in a 4.2-descended
/etc/services and/or looked it up in an Assigned Numbers RFC.  Never-the-less,
perhaps we should have a README file on the distribution tape.

John Robert LoVerso, Encore Computer Corp
encore!loverso, loverso@multimax.arpa