[comp.sys.encore] Parallel Lisps on Parallel Machines

billo@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Bill O) (04/22/88)

Does anyone have any information on parallel lisps for parallel
machines?  At NPAC we have an 18 processor Encore Multimax, and an 8
processor Alliant FX/80.  I have heard that Multilisp is available for
the Multimax, but have no idea how to get it.  Also, I have seen a
paper on Qlisp -- does anyone know what machines it might be available
for or how to get it?  Other parallel lisps?  Any relevant information
would be appreciated.

Bill O'Farrell (billo@cmx.npac.syr.edu)
Northeast Parallel Architectures Center at Syracuse University

JLF@PSUVM.BITNET (Jim Forkner 814-865-4775) (04/23/88)

Please remove my name from your distribution list.

Thanks, Jim F.

af@SPICE.CS.CMU.EDU (Alessandro Forin) (04/25/88)

In article <381@cmx.npac.syr.edu>, billo@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Bill O) writes:

> I have heard that Multilisp is available for the Multimax, but have no
> idea how to get it.

Multilisp is running on Encores allright.  I did the first port for the
Mach operating system, and recently Randy Osborne (ran@vx.lcs.mit.edu)
told me that he has completed a port for Umax.
All enquires should be sent to Robert Halstead (rhh@vx.lcs.mit.edu) who
is the original author and keeps all the rights for (re)distribution.

> Also, I have seen a paper on Qlisp -- does anyone know what machines it
> might be available for or how to get it?

I suppose you should be able to obtain information on the state of Qlisp
directly from the author, John McCarhty (jmc@sail.stanford.edu).

sandro-
Alessandro Forin (af@cs.cmu.edu)
Comp. Science Dept. at Carnegie-Mellon University

JLF@PSUVM.BITNET (Jim Forkner 814-865-4775) (04/26/88)

please remove my name from your mailing list.  thanks

ran@mit-vax.LCS.MIT.EDU (Randy Osborne) (04/26/88)

In article <1510@pt.cs.cmu.edu> af@SPICE.CS.CMU.EDU (Alessandro Forin) writes:
>In article <381@cmx.npac.syr.edu>, billo@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Bill O) writes:
>
>> I have heard that Multilisp is available for the Multimax, but have no
>> idea how to get it.
>
>All enquires should be sent to Robert Halstead (rhh@vx.lcs.mit.edu) who
>is the original author and keeps all the rights for (re)distribution.

Please DO NOT send all enquires to Halstead. Instead, follow the procedure
in my previous posting. Send me mail and I'll repost it if anybody missed
it.

Randy Osborne  ran@vx.lcs.mit.edu

ran@mit-vax.LCS.MIT.EDU (Randy Osborne) (04/26/88)

It appears that my "previous" posting on this matter didn't get
through. Here it is again.

In article <381@cmx.npac.syr.edu> billo@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Bill O'Farrell) writes:
>Does anyone have any information on parallel lisps for parallel
>machines?

Multilisp is available from the Parallel Processing Group at
M.I.T. The present implementation is a byte-code interpreter
which runs on uniprocessor machines supporting UNIX (BSD 4.2)
and the multiprocessor Encore Multimax (and our Concert
Multiprocessor). Little work should be necessary to port the
implementation to other shared memory multiprocessors, which
like the Multimax, support UNIX.

To obtain this implementation, obtain a licence agreement
from the following address:

	Multilisp Request
	Room 205
	M.I.T. Laboratory for Computer Science
	545 Technology Square
	Cambridge, MA. 02139

Complete and return the agreement (no fee required) and we'll
mail you a tape (UNIX tar format, 1600bpi). (We may have to
charge for the tape if we receive too many requests.)

We're currently experimenting with a native code implementation
for the Multimax, based on the Orbit T compiler.

Randy Osborne   ran@vx.lcs.mit.edu