[comp.sys.encore] Undefined symbols under UMAX 4.2

oneill@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Brian O'Neill) (07/29/88)

I am fairly new to using UMAX 4.2, and have been trying to compile several
programs without success. Most seem to have problems with the following
symbols, which are undefined:

			TCGETA
			TCSETAF
			TCSETAW

These are found in several programs, including rn version 4.3. We have a
hacked version, but gives duplicate characters on input. Is there a simple
way around these symbols??

Also, has anyone managed to compile gcc?? It seems to bomb on assembly when
creating the stage2 compiler...

Thanx for any info.

Brian O'Neill - Wang Institute of Boston University,  Tyngsboro, MA
UUCP:  {decvax!elrond,ulowell}!bu-tyng!oneill - oneill@bu-tyng.UUCP
Internet: oneill@bu-tyng.bu.edu	                 (617) 649-9731 x14

loverso@encore.UUCP (John Robert LoVerso) (07/30/88)

In article <1638@bu-tyng.bu.edu> oneill@bu-tyng.UUCP (Brian O'Neill) writes:
> I am fairly new to using UMAX 4.2, and have been trying to compile several
> programs without success. Most seem to have problems with the following
> symbols, which are undefined:
>
> 			TCGETA
> 			TCSETAF
> 			TCSETAW
>
> These are found in several programs, including rn version 4.3. We have a
> hacked version, but gives duplicate characters on input. Is there a simple
> way around these symbols??

TCGET* are SystemV ioctl's for changing various terminal modes.  You've
come across a basic SystemV-4BSD incompatibility thats really got nothing
to do with UMAX4.2.

What you probably have are several SystemV programs.  To get them to run
under UMAX4.2 (or any BSD-based machine), you're going to have to change
the ioctl's to the equivalent for 4BSD.  However, for `rn' this will be
very simple, as you just need to configure rn for a BSD host instead of
a USG (SystemV) host.

Of course, if you were running UMAXV, then that would be SystemV.3-based and
you wouldn't have *this* problem.

--
John Robert LoVerso
Encore Computer Corp