[net.micro] 68000 Laptop portables with networking

Fischer.pa@XEROX.ARPA (08/22/85)

What would be a good way to network portable personal computers?  ...so
that you could get access to your computer mail or online databases
while hacking on a bluff overlooking the beach...

Tum dee dum...
(ron)

kdale@MINET-VHN-EM.ARPA (08/22/85)

>What would be a good way to network portable personal computers?  ...so
>that you could get access to your computer mail or online databases
>while hacking on a bluff overlooking the beach...

How about with a modem (of course), and a mobile phone - not a cordless, but a
true mobile phone like you see in cars or briefcases.  I wonder whether the
signal quality would support computer communications?  Anyone done it yet or
care to hazard a guess?

Keith M. Dale
(kdale@minet-vhn-em.arpa)
BBN Comm Corp
Stuttgart, W. Germany

Fischer.pa@XEROX.ARPA (08/23/85)

Are there legal limitations to the use of packet radio for transmitting
commercial data?  Can an organization have their salepeople using
personal machines in the field transmitting data data on the "public
airwaves".

(ron)

rsellens@watdcsu.UUCP (Rick Sellens - Mech. Eng.) (08/26/85)

In article <876@brl-tgr.ARPA> Fischer.pa@XEROX.ARPA writes:
>What would be a good way to network portable personal computers?  ...so
>that you could get access to your computer mail or online databases
>while hacking on a bluff overlooking the beach...
>
>Tum dee dum...
>(ron)

If you want to take it that far.......How about a modem somehow attached
to the portable part of a cordless phone, or maybe one of these "cellular
telephone systems" that they are advertising these days. Does anyone know
whether the signal quality would be high enough for reasonable transfer
rates with a reasonable error rate?

Rick Sellens
UUCP:  watmath!watdcsu!rsellens
CSNET: rsellens%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  rsellens%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

kds@intelca.UUCP (Ken Shoemaker) (08/29/85)

> If you want to take it that far.......How about a modem somehow attached
> to the portable part of a cordless phone, or maybe one of these "cellular
> telephone systems" that they are advertising these days. Does anyone know
> whether the signal quality would be high enough for reasonable transfer
> rates with a reasonable error rate?
>

> Rick Sellens

This is purely speculation, but I would think that what with moving
around with a cellular phone, getting passed from one (fixed) antenna
to another, that the phase distortion would be pretty tremendous...
--
...and I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody outside of a small circle
of friends...

Ken Shoemaker, Microprocessor Design for a large, Silicon Valley firm

{pur-ee,hplabs,amd,scgvaxd,dual,qantel}!intelca!kds

---the above views are personal.  They may not represent those of the
	employer of its submitter.

john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) (08/30/85)

In article <1633@watdcsu.UUCP> rsellens@watdcsu.UUCP (Rick Sellens - Mech. Eng.) writes:
>If you want to take it that far.......How about a modem somehow attached
>to the portable part of a cordless phone, or maybe one of these "cellular
>telephone systems" that they are advertising these days. Does anyone know
>whether the signal quality would be high enough for reasonable transfer
>rates with a reasonable error rate?

  A cordless phone only gets you to the beach if you live there - the range is
very low. Cellular would in fact work, and you can buy modems for it, but
after shelling out a thousand or more bucks for the radio, and whatever for
the modem, you then get to pay (here in Phoenix on our beautiful beaches)
$25.00 per month plus 60 cents PER MINUTE!

--
John Moore (NJ7E)
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!john

san@cositex.UUCP (Steve Sanderson) (09/02/85)

> > ......How about a modem somehow attached to the portable part of a
> > cordless phone, or maybe one of these "cellular telephone systems"...
> > Rick Sellens
>
> This is purely speculation, but I would think that what with moving
> around with a cellular phone, getting passed from one (fixed) antenna
> to another, that the phase distortion would be pretty tremendous...
> Ken Shoemaker, Microprocessor Design for a large, Silicon Valley firm

I was curious about the same thing not so long ago, and after doing some
poking around (talking to some people familiar with cellular technology)
the only obstacle to modem communications that they could come up with was
the slight break in transmission when switching from one transciever to
another (i.e. changing from one ``cell'' to another).  This, of course,
implies moving around, if the cellular phone was stationary, it would
avoid this problem.

	Steve
--
Steve Sanderson, COSI Texas
		 4412 Spicewood Springs, Suite 801 Austin, Texas 78759

olmp@olgba.UUCP (Mike Pellatt) (09/14/85)

> If you want to take it that far.......How about a modem somehow attached
> to the portable part of a cordless phone, or maybe one of these "cellular
> telephone systems" that they are advertising these days. Does anyone know
> whether the signal quality would be high enough for reasonable transfer
> rates with a reasonable error rate?
>

> Rick Sellens

   I know for a fact that this is being implemented on the U.K. cellular
radio systems by both Racal-Vodafone and Cellnet (the B.T. system). The
rumours in the computing press said that each system was proposing
different error-correction standards. Anyone know anything more about
this ????

--
Mike Pellatt, Software Support, AT&T Computer Division, British Olivetti Ltd.,
Wellington House, 154-160 Upper Richmond Road, LONDON, SW15 2FN.

rsellens@watdcsu.UUCP (Rick Sellens - Mech. Eng.) (09/16/85)

>> If you want to take it that far.......How about a modem somehow attached
>> to the portable part of a cordless phone, or maybe one of these "cellular
>> telephone systems" that they are advertising these days. Does anyone know
>> whether the signal quality would be high enough for reasonable transfer
>> rates with a reasonable error rate?
>>

>> Rick Sellens
>
>   I know for a fact that this is being implemented on the U.K. cellular
>radio systems by both Racal-Vodafone and Cellnet (the B.T. system). The
>rumours in the computing press said that each system was proposing
>different error-correction standards. Anyone know anything more about
>this ????
>
>--
>Mike Pellatt, Software Support, AT&T Computer Division, British Olivetti Ltd.,

The September issue of Info Age magazine has a short article about a modem
system available for use with cellular phones. I don't remember the
manufacturer, but it looks like there is a real product, or products out there.