[comp.sys.encore] SLIP for Annex boxes?

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (10/09/88)

I seem to recall seeing some reference to SLIP support in Annex boxes
in the past few days--perhaps in the TCP-IP mailing list.  Is this so?
I'm about to install a 4.3BSD machine which supports SLIP but is too distant
for an ethernet connection.  SLIP at 19.2kb or, lacking that, 9.6kb
would do nicely, and a port on an Annex box is already available.
Will it act as a gateway if there are other machines behind the SLIP
machine?

Also, is there any way to manually change a route table entry in
a particular Annex as it's running (if the answer is RTFM here,
I'm not physically at the site where the FM is, and the Annex mostly
'just works' so neither the support staff there nor I have much expertise.)
I didn't see any references to changing routes thru /etc/na, however.

Thanks for any info you have.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

loverso@xenna.Encore.COM (John Robert LoVerso) (10/11/88)

In article <2002@spdcc.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
> I seem to recall seeing some reference to SLIP support in Annex boxes
> in the past few days--perhaps in the TCP-IP mailing list.  Is this so?

4.3BS-compatible SL/IP is supported as of Annex software release R4.0.
From what I understand, you'll get that automatically if you are on a
software support contract.

> Also, is there any way to manually change a route table entry in
> a particular Annex as it's running...

As of the released Annex software now, that is not possible.  You can
poke in hardwired (never changing) and passive routes upon boot now.
In the future, there will certainly be a mechanism for this.

John R LoVerso, Encore Computer Corp
encore!loverso, loverso@multimax.arpa
[on a full moon only: LoVerso@Encore.COM]

george@iguanodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (George M. Jones) (10/11/88)

loverso@xenna.UUCP (John Robert LoVerso) writes:
    4.3BS-compatible SL/IP is supported as of Annex software release R4.0.
    From what I understand, you'll get that automatically if you are on a
    software support contract.

I saw somewhere in the new Annex docs that SL/IP is supported only on
Annex II's.  True ?  Any good reason for this (other than selling
more Annex II's) ?

---George Jones
-=-
OSU Computer & Inf. Science 2036 Neil Ave.,Columbus,Ohio 43210. 614-292-7325
george@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!osu-cis!george

Quality of life can be measured as the inverse of lawyers per thousand.

loverso@xenna.Encore.COM (John Robert LoVerso) (10/13/88)

george@iguanodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (George M. Jones) writes:
> loverso@xenna.UUCP (John Robert LoVerso) writes:
>     4.3BSD-compatible SL/IP is supported as of Annex software release R4.0.
>
> I saw somewhere in the new Annex docs that SL/IP is supported only on
> Annex II's.  True ?

Not true.  SL/IP is available under R4.0 on Annex-Is and all types
of Annex-IIs.  From my understanding of how the sales info is being
handled, they are only explicitly mentioning Annex-IIs, as that is
the "current" Annex product.

John R LoVerso, Encore Computer Corp
encore!loverso, loverso@multimax.arpa, [sometimes: loverso@Encore.COM]