[comp.sys.encore] Problems with PC-NFS

oneill@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Brian O'Neill) (10/23/88)

We've just set up to use NFS on our main system, and connect all our PC's to
it using PC-NFS. We seem to be having a slight problem with it. It will not
mount a drive to the server.

Currently, we are using PC-NFS 3.0 on a single PC for testing. It has a
3C503 Etherlink board. Our server system is an Encore Multimax 320, running
UMAX (BSD) 4.2, and a server-only NFS. nfsd and portmap run fine, and the PC
can communicate properly over the Ethernet using ftp and telnet, but the
problem comes when we try to mount a drive to a path on the server. I
compiled rpc.pcnfsd, commenting out the includes for sys/tty.h and
sys/stream.h, as they do not exist on the Encore, and did not produce a
compiler error.

rpc.pcnfsd runs fine, and both systems recognize it using
'rpcinfo -u bu-tyng 150001 1', responding with 'ready and waiting'. When I
run nfsconf or net use, and attempt to mount a drive, it comes back with:

NFS038F: Access to file system denied by server.

as if the path was not in the /etc/exports file, which it is. Here is a
closer look:

/etc/exports

# This file lists directories exported by NFS
/usr1/nfs/common

C\> net use d: \\bu-tyng\usr1\nfs\common
NFS038F: Access to file system denied by server.
NFS008F: Drive d: has not been mounted.

And I get the same error using nfsconf.

Any help would be appreciated, hopefully both sides (Sun and Encore) are
listening...

Brian O'Neill - Boston University Corporate Education Center, Tyngsboro, MA
UUCP:  {decvax!elrond,ulowell}!bu-tyng!oneill --------- oneill@bu-tyng.UUCP
Internet: oneill@bu-tyng.bu.edu                          (617) 649-9731 x14

geoff@eagle_snax.UUCP ( R.H. coast near the top) (10/26/88)

In article <1747@bu-tyng.bu.edu> oneill@bu-tyng.UUCP (Brian O'Neill) writes:
>[...] When I
>run nfsconf or net use, and attempt to mount a drive, it comes back with:
>
>NFS038F: Access to file system denied by server.
>
>as if the path was not in the /etc/exports file, which it is. Here is a
>closer look:
>
>/etc/exports

"Access denied...." can actually mean two things: the path is not exported
(to you), or the mount daemon doesn't think you have the necessary
privileges to issue a mount request. For example, in SunOS 4.0 the
mount daemon will reject any request coming from a non-privileged port
(1024 or higher) unless it it started with the "-n" flag. From
the man page for "mountd(8)":

OPTIONS
     -n   Do not check that the clients are  root  users.  Though
          this  option makes things slightly less secure, it does
          allow older versions (pre-3.0) of client NFS to work.

(They mean client PC-NFS :-) Encore may well have modified this code to
perform additional verification.

Is the file system mountable from other machines?

--
Geoff Arnold, Sun Microsystems Inc.   +------------------------------------+
PC Distributed Systems(home of PC-NFS)|Someone, somewhere, wants an RFC822 |

boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) (10/26/88)

[Oh Great Usenet, why doesn't this work????]

Thanks to all who responded promptly to my inquiry. As I picked up the phone
to call Encore, a gentleman from Encore called me (sorry, I can't remember
your name, but thanks a lot). Apparently, the preliminary copy of the NFS
manual wasn't very specific that the /etc/exports file must contain the root
of a file system, not just any directory. I haven't had the experience with
NFS before, so I wasn't aware of this.

Brian O'Neill, MS-DOS Software Exchange Coordinator
ArpaNet: boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu
UUCP: {(backbones),harvard,mit-eddie,et. al.}!ulowell!hawk.ulowell.edu!boneill