[comp.sys.encore] TeX Sources that compile on the Encore Multimax Umax4.2

marco@buengc.BU.EDU (Marco Zelada) (04/23/89)

	For those of you out there that wanted to get the TeX version that
I have compiled on the Encore Multimax Umax 4.2 version. Well, I finally
did it, I have placed the sources in pub dir of our machine so just ftp it
and have fun.

	Our internet # is:	128.197.51.19

	Just use the standard anonymous user name and make sure to get the
file called NOTES before you anything else. It outlines some helpful hints.

Name:	Marco Zelada			Phone:	617 353 9882, Fax: 353 6322
	VLSI CAD Engineer 		E-mail:	marco@buengc.bu.edu
Dept:	Electrical & Computer Eng.	Mail:	44 Cummington St. Room 236
Org:	Boston University		 	Boston MA, 02215

grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (04/27/89)

We've been running TeX on an Encore for over 2 years. We were using
CommonTeX, written in C.

We're now using the Web-to-C version of TeX, available from labrea.stanford.edu
on most hosts, although not the Encore. There shouldn't be any reason it
wouldn't work on the Encore.

Don't fool with the Pascal version - it's a complete loss for the UNIX world.

btw, there is no such thing as a ``web compiler'' that I know off. Normally,
you use `tangle' to translates web files into Pascal or (now) C.
--
Dirk Grunwald
Univ. of Illinois

marco@buengc.BU.EDU (Marco Zelada) (04/28/89)

In article <GRUNWALD.89Apr27001338@flute.cs.uiuc.edu> grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>We've been running TeX on an Encore for over 2 years. We were using
>CommonTeX, written in C.

	Good for you then, but how about the rest of us that did not know this ?

	About two months ago I was given the task of updating our TeX version
running on the Encore. At the time I had never used TeX and after trying to
read the manuals and other docs, I dove in to try to compile a new version we
had obtained from Stanford. This version, however did not fully use the web2c,
tangle programs to build C sources and I could not get it to properly compile
the built Pascal sources.

	Where were you then ?

	Where were you when some other people like myself tried to get some
help on the matter ?

	Its all too easy to criticize an individual that is only trying to
help his fellow TeX users by announcing that there is such thing as a
Web-to-C version of TeX available from labrea.Stanford.edu.

	If helping others is old fashion then I am old fashion.

	Get your facts straight before you start flaming other people. Did
you read my original posting ? Well, I did not think so, it was an answer to a
TeX user that needed help.

>We're now using the Web-to-C version of TeX, available from labrea.Stanford.edu
>on most hosts, although not the Encore. There shouldn't be any reason it
>wouldn't work on the Encore.

	I know this, where do you think I got the source from ?

	This code works fine, except for some minor adjustments it is OK.
However, DO NOT assume something works just fine unless you have tested it.
Otherwise it only just shows your ignorance in the matter.

	My only complaint about it was that as a UNIX user used to Berkeley
style of Software releases, I did not like the way that the whole thing was
structured for compilation and the fact that there was still lots of work to
do to install the baby. So, I restructured the whole thing and made it install
fonts, macros, style sheets, etc as part of the installation of the package.
The idea here was that one should be able to have the standard bin, lib, doc,
src etc. dirs for TeX and a master Makefile which could construct the TeX
system from ground up by just typing a make at the top most level of the tree.

	I also included a bunch of useful utilities that I have used and found
to be quite nice.

>Don't fool with the Pascal version - it's a complete loss for the UNIX world.

	Wrong, I got the Pascal version to compile fine on BSD compatible
UNIX systems so it is not a complete loss for the UNIX world unless your whole
world is the Encore Multimax world.

>btw, there is no such thing as a ``web compiler'' that I know off. Normally,
>you use `tangle' to translates web files into Pascal or (now) C.

	Wrong again, tangle does not translate into C any more than I am
mother Teresa. This is the pipeline to translate WEB sources to C
( Pay attention ) :

	WEB -> tangle -> Pascal -> web2c C

	Got it ?