[comp.sys.encore] Informations about Encore in Europe

cattaneo@litp.UUCP (Giuseppe CATTANEO) (05/04/89)

	I'd like to know whether Encore has representatives in Europe other
than Matra Datasysteme that don't exist anymore. If so where and who
are they? Otherwise do plans currently exist to replace Matra.
	We bought an Encore Multimax 320 in January 1988 from Matra.
We finally managed to get a BSD version of the OS instead of the
System V version they force you to buy. That took a lot of effort.
We had to call directly Encore in the US. They were very friendly and
helpful but our phone call made Matra people mad at us. They
threatened us to cut off service if we did it again. The legal
procedure was that we should call from Salerno to the Matra office in
Milan. In turn they would call Matra in Paris because they are only
commercial people. The people in Paris would eventually call Encore if
they couldn't solve the problem. (Very fast and simple :-))
Since then we've been  desperately trying to get the version of NFS
compatible with the BSD system that completes the package we ordered.
We'd also like to get hold of the upgrades for the OS. We've had a lot
of promises from the vendor but nothing has come yet (Well this is
Italy, you know...)
	The problem is the same for the hardware. Who should we get it from?
In particular we're interested in buying a disk and two APC cards.
	What about maintenance?

	Thanks in advance for your answers.

--

						[Pippo Cattaneo]

UUCP	: cattaneo@zeta.univ-p6-7.fr		BITNET	: cattaneo@frunip11
TEL.	: (33) 1 43 36 25 25 ext. 40 55		FAX	: (33) 1 46 34 19 27
ORG.	: Universita' di SALERNO Dip. di Informatica ed Appl.
	  Via S. Chirico  -  I-84081 Baronissi (SA) ITALY

humberto@gouldfr.UUCP (Humberto Lucas) (05/14/89)

In article <2085@litp.UUCP> cattaneo@litp.UUCP (Giuseppe CATTANEO) writes:

>	I'd like to know whether Encore has representatives in Europe other
>than Matra Datasysteme that don't exist anymore. If so where and who
>are they? Otherwise do plans currently exist to replace Matra.

Encore recently bought GOULD, a minicomputer and minisupercomputer
manufacter based in Fort Lauderdale (Florida) and represented in almost
all European countries. As Encore is the name of the new Company all
European subsidiaries will became Encore.... Give us some time...

All subsidiaries (including Italy) have sales representatives, as you
could expect, but also a hardware/software customer service and
analysts.  We can all expect that your past problems with Matra will be
solved soon.

Encore Italy (previously Gould Italy) will be in touch with you.
(Tel. +39 (2) 253 91 221 ). But once again, give us some time...
  Humberto Lucas, Encore France (Gould Informatique) Tel.+33 1 34606101)
( encore!gould!humberto, humberto@gouldfr.uucp, humberto@gouldfr.gould.fr )

art@buengc.BU.EDU (A. R. Thompson) (05/15/89)

In article <442@gouldfr.UUCP> humberto@gouldfr.UUCP (Humberto Lucas) writes:
>[...]
>Encore recently bought GOULD, a minicomputer and minisupercomputer
>manufacter based in Fort Lauderdale (Florida) and represented in almost
>all European countries. As Encore is the name of the new Company all
>European subsidiaries will became Encore.... Give us some time...

I recently attended the Encore annual meeting.  Encore Chairman,  Ken
Fischer explained the deal in detail.  I've been meaning to post my
recollections of his talk.  This article was the stimulus I needed.

Gould has been around for a while.  They make a very good line of products
including a computer line.  For a time, about ten years ago, they were the
darlings of Wall Street.  It came to pass that Gould ultimately was
acquired by Nippon Mining Inc.  This complete foreign ownership of
American technology was too much for the Government and Gould was frozen
out of all government sales (I think it applied to grant money too but I
can't recall for sure).  After a while this began to pinch and Nippon
Mining began to look about for a suitor.  Along came Encore and Ken
Fischer.  The following deal was cut: Nippon Mining gets 20 million shares
of Encore stock (don't hold me to the exact numbers) and Nippon loans
Encore another $110 million with which to complete the transaction.  The
stock that Nippon Mining got carries no special privileges, no seat on the
board etc.

Fischer said the deal was great for all concerned because it allowed
Nippon Mining to profit from the reopening of the Government market and
Encore gained the infrastructure (140,000 square feet of space in
Florida and all the equipment), competent sales and service forces.

become a $300 million a year corporation up from a $30 million a year
corporation without having to finance the growth out of revenues.  He said
he was sure there was enough market for the Multimax and other like
products to easily justify the acquisition.  He was quite upbeat about the
whole thing.  At one point toward the end, when it became clear that
things were going well, Fischer said, "You're always hearing about how the
Japanese are buying America, well we just bought a piece of Japan."  It
was one of the most impressive perfomances by a business executive that I
have ever seen.