[comp.sys.encore] Lisp Installation

carey@m.cs.uiuc.edu (06/27/89)

I would like to install lisp.  Has anyone gotten the public domain
Franz Lisp working on a Multimax.  This is the version that is distributed
with Berkeley.  There is some vax assembly code in it, two files
about 30 lines each.  It might be possible, if these were converted to
32032 assembly code, that the lisp might be compileable, but I am not
sure.

phil@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Bill LeFebvre) (06/28/89)

In article <37500005@m.cs.uiuc.edu> carey@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>I would like to install lisp.  Has anyone gotten the public domain
>Franz Lisp working on a Multimax....

Our local Encore guy told me that they sell a version of Franz for the
Multimax.  He quoted me a University price of $500 (per machine, I believe),
which ain't bad for non-PC software.

Still......something besides Franz would be better, and something free
would be better still.  Anyone had any success at porting Kyoto Common
Lisp to the Multimax?  It's not just the assembly code and the
required knowledge of the machine architecture (floating point format,
etc.), it's also the COFF format for .o's and executables!

		William LeFebvre
		Northwestern University
		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (06/28/89)

>I would like to install lisp.  Has anyone gotten the public domain
>Franz Lisp working on a Multimax.  This is the version that is distributed
>with Berkeley.  There is some vax assembly code in it, two files
>about 30 lines each.  It might be possible, if these were converted to
>32032 assembly code, that the lisp might be compileable, but I am not
>sure.

Your main concerns are the lisp compiler (liszt) which generates
machine code and dynamic loading of these compiled modules (and
linking against libraries where needed.) You can do all that but it's
not a simple matter of converting a few assembly routines, it's a
goodly amount of work.

You'd be better off finding a copy of KCL and starting with that if
that will satisfy your needs. KCL is common lisp and generates C code
which "just works". The dynamic loader can be done with dynload()
which is in the Encore library. A few of the IEEE routines in
num_arith.c have to be fixed for their floating point format and byte
order. That's about it.

--
	-Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die, Purveyors to the Trade
1330 Beacon Street, Brookline, MA 02146, (617) 739-0202
Internet: bzs@skuld.std.com
UUCP:     encore!xylogics!skuld!bzs or uunet!skuld!bzs

soper@xenna.UUCP (Pete Soper,,,) (06/29/89)

  A port of Franz Lisp has been in the Encore price book for eons.
It is $500, if I read the price book right. It would of course be
wise to get a test ride before paying. Judging by conversations with
the guy that ported Franz Lisp, it was definitely not trivial.
  As for other versions of Lisp, I suggest you beat your salesman up
and get him to get the official word about KCL or possibly other
versions that might be available down the road.

Pete Soper                                             +1 919 481 3730
arpa: soper@encore.com        uucp: {bu-cs,decvax,necntc}!encore!soper
Encore Computer Corp, 901 Kildaire Farm Rd, bldg D, Cary, NC 27511 USA

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (06/29/89)

In article <798@accuvax.nwu.edu> phil@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (Bill LeFebvre) writes:

>Still......something besides Franz would be better, and something free
>would be better still.  Anyone had any success at porting Kyoto Common
>Lisp to the Multimax?  It's not just the assembly code and the
>required knowledge of the machine architecture (floating point format,
>etc.), it's also the COFF format for .o's and executables!

I've heard about a port of Franz Allegro CL being done to UMAX V
by someone in France. I don't know when/if/how it will be available,
though.

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB

soper@xenna.UUCP (Pete Soper,,,) (06/29/89)

From article <33966@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, by bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein):

> You'd be better off finding a copy of KCL and starting with that if
> that will satisfy your needs. KCL is common lisp and generates C code

  I just found out that there is a KCL derivative available for Multimax,
called "Ibuki Common Lisp". It is available from Ibuki Corp at (415)
961 4996.

rhealey@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Rob Healey) (07/01/89)

In article <9563@xenna.Encore.COM> soper@xenna.UUCP (Pete Soper,,,) writes:
>From article <33966@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, by bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein):
>> You'd be better off finding a copy of KCL and starting with that if
>> that will satisfy your needs. KCL is common lisp and generates C code
>  I just found out that there is a KCL derivative available for Multimax,
>called "Ibuki Common Lisp". It is available from Ibuki Corp at (415)
>961 4996.
>Pete Soper                                             +1 919 481 3730

	I'm not sure if we're running Ibuki on ub but this last quarter
	I used KCL LISP for my AI course and it was definitely running
	on the Encore.

		-Rob