[comp.sys.encore] Parallelized 'compress'

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (07/14/89)

Is there anyone who have tried (and succeeded) to parallelize the
'compress' utility? Is the algorithm even suitable for parallelization?
--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB

loverso@Xylogics.COM (John Robert LoVerso) (07/14/89)

In article <761@maxim.erbe.se> rclaeson@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
> Is there anyone who have tried (and succeeded) to parallelize the
> 'compress' utility? Is the algorithm even suitable for parallelization?

I assume you mean parallelizing compress such that the compression of a
single file is spread over multiple execution units.  I haven't seen much
in the way of any tools developed like this, probably because of some of
the obscurity of the threads libraries available with UMAX.  Right after
the Internet worm fiasco, Barry Shein had a password cracker using threads
on a MACH Multimax, but I digress.

The other case of `parallelization' that Encore provides on the multimax
is where "compress *" would have multiple files being compressed at the
same time.  This should be easily done with

	setenv PARALLEL `numcpus`
	apply compress ${files}

Of course, Encore's parallel apply has numerous bugs and pitfalls, making
it mostly useless for anything more complicated than the above.  Even then,
it seems exceptionally slow.  I've got some of the work done on parallelizing
the GNU xargs, but never had time to finish it.  Does anyone have a working,
parallelized, _distributable_, xargs or apply?

John
--
John Robert LoVerso			Xylogics, Inc.  617/272-8140
loverso@Xylogics.COM			Annex Terminal Server Development Group