[comp.sys.encore] X11R3

isaac@goanna.oz.AU (Isaac Balbin) (08/07/89)

Is there anyone out there running X11 on an encore as a client?
Our server is an NCD X terminal and we are finding many programs just
bomb. Even the X benchmark doesn't get passed first base (not to mention
dvi previewing using xdvi).
We have reason to believe that it is the encore end at fault. By the
way, when you do a man X it talks of a program called Xdm, but this
is nowhere to be found.
We are running UMAX V 2.2F.
Isaac Balbin,
Department of Computer Science,	         ACSNET: isaac@goanna.oz
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,  JANET: isaac%goanna.oz.au@uk.ac.ukc
GPO BOX 2476 V,                            ARPA: isaac%goanna.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
Melbourne, 3001, 		          CSNET: isaac%goanna.oz.au@australia
AUSTRALIA                                  UUCP: ...!uunet!goanna.oz.au!isaac
Phone: +61 3 660 2803		         BITNET: isaac%goanna.oz.au@relay.cs.net
Fax  : +61 3 663 2764		          EARN: isaac%goanna.oz.au@uk.ac.rl.earn

jb@CS.BROWN.EDU (08/07/89)

I and several other people have running under Umax 4.2.  I don't
know anything about running it under Umax V.

				Jim

alan@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Alan Crosswell) (08/08/89)

In article <8908070616.3790@munnari.oz.au> isaac@goanna.oz.AU (Isaac Balbin) writes:
>Is there anyone out there running X11 on an encore as a client?
>Our server is an NCD X terminal and we are finding many programs just
>bomb. Even the X benchmark doesn't get passed first base (not to mention
>dvi previewing using xdvi).

We ran some X11 clients on UMAX V 2.2f for a while and did run into
one or two minor problems although things essentially worked.  One
thing was that long running X sessions would eventually die off with
some error that I can't remember.  Another was that doing an ethernet
trace showed an apparent continuous stream of data going between an
idle emacs X client and the display server.  We didn't really delve
further into it and have since stopped runing UMAX V but had concluded
that the next logical step would be to recompile the X libraries on
the encore in order to get to a known state.

Alan Crosswell
Columbia University