[comp.sys.encore] 3rd Party Compilers

schoenin@s.cs.uiuc.edu (09/20/89)

Our research group is interested in locating low-cost compilers for
PASCAL and FORTRAN.  Encore's price, even with an educational discount,
is a steep $3,750 each.  At these prices that makes a source license
out of the question for us.  Are there any 3rd party compilers available ?
Are they any good ?

Alternatively, how good are the Encore compilers ?  Are they so good
it might justify the cost ?

brad schoening
Computer Systems Group
Univ. of Illinois - UC

schoenin@cs.uiuc.edu

dcourte@thor.wright.edu (Dale Emery Courte,040P Lib. Annex,873-4030,) (09/22/89)

From article <213200001@s.cs.uiuc.edu>, by schoenin@s.cs.uiuc.edu:

> Our research group is interested in locating low-cost compilers for
> PASCAL and FORTRAN.  Encore's price, even with an educational discount,
> is a steep $3,750 each.  At these prices that makes a source license
> out of the question for us.  Are there any 3rd party compilers available ?
> Are they any good ?

What gives here? I have a quote from Encore in front of me, and the
price for Fortran is an unbelievable $12,500! I was told not to expect an
educational discount of more than 25% on this. Does anyone know what the
_real_ price of Fortran is? At the price I was quoted, it is simply out
of the question.

> Alternatively, how good are the Encore compilers ?  Are they so good
> it might justify the cost ?

I have experience here with Encore's parallel implementation of VADS
Ada, and my Ada users tell me it far outperforms the VADS
implementations on SUN systems here on campus. I have heard from at
least one user elsewhere that the Fortran compiler is also quite a
performer. It is probably worth the price you were quoted, but not the
one I was quoted.

-----------------------------       -------------------------------------
Dale Courte                         CSNET: dcourte@eve.wright.edu
University Computing Services       BITNET: dcourte@wsu
Wright State University             UUCP: ..!uunet!ncrlink!wright!dcourte
Dayton, Ohio 45435                  phone: (513) 873-4030
-----------------------------       -------------------------------------

-----------------------------       -------------------------------------

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (09/24/89)

In article <667@thor.wright.EDU> dcourte@thor.wright.edu writes:

>What gives here? I have a quote from Encore in front of me, and the
>price for Fortran is an unbelievable $12,500! I was told not to expect an
>educational discount of more than 25% on this. Does anyone know what the
>_real_ price of Fortran is? At the price I was quoted, it is simply out
>of the question.

The $12,500 price is for the *parallel* Fortran compiler. The sequential
one is less than half of that. And there's a sequential-to-parallel upgrade
available, so you can start with the seq. compiler and later change your
mind (the parallel compiler of course includes the sequential one). I do
really like the parallel compiler. I can feed it just about any standard
Fortran-77 program and have it parallelize the program automagically for
me. Speeds development tremendeously. Even better, I can have it generate
new, parallelized source for me that is the old source (comments and
structure retained) with parallell statements inserted now and then.

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB