[comp.sys.encore] Looking for program to tally usage stats for Annex terminal servers

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) (09/19/89)

(I hope this is the right newsgorup until a sys.annex or sys.xylogics is
created).

  I'm looking for some type of program or script that can monitor the usage
of serial ports on an Annex server.  We have a bank of incoming lines on
some of them, and we would like to be able to know how often (in terms of
minutes and number of new sessions) each is used, so that we can accurately
determine is we need more or less.  The character count on each line is
some help, but really isn't totally adequate.  A program that could assemble
information for the logfiles, or did a stats -s every so often and looked
for lines that had DCD high would be useful.

						Jeff White
						University of Pennsylvania
						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

becker@cs.rochester.edu (Tim Becker) (09/19/89)

In article <14506@netnews.upenn.edu> jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) writes:
>  I'm looking for some type of program or script that can monitor the usage
>of serial ports on an Annex server.  We have a bank of incoming lines on
>some of them, and we would like to be able to know how often (in terms of
>minutes and number of new sessions) each is used, so that we can accurately
>determine is we need more or less.  The character count on each line is
>some help, but really isn't totally adequate.  A program that could assemble
>information for the logfiles, or did a stats -s every so often and looked
>for lines that had DCD high would be useful.

We wrote an awk script to keep track of connect time on some of our annex
ports (the modem ports).  We used the Event Logging feature of the annex
s/w.  This sends Unix syslog msgs to a Unix machine of your choice.  It can
log every annex port open and close.

One problem with it is that it uses the 4.2bsd syslog format.  Since
upgrading our Suns to SunOS 4.0.x, the annex event logging won't work
anymore (SunOS 4.0.x uses the 4.3bsd syslog format).  I'm hoping for a fix
from the Encore-annex folks.

Tim.

alan@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Alan Crosswell) (09/21/89)

>In article <14506@netnews.upenn.edu> jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) writes:
>>  I'm looking for some type of program or script that can monitor the usage
>>of serial ports on an Annex server.  We have a bank of incoming lines on
>>some of them, and we would like to be able to know how often (in terms of
>>minutes and number of new sessions) each is used, so that we can accurately
>>determine is we need more or less.  The character count on each line is
>>some help, but really isn't totally adequate.  A program that could assemble
>>information for the logfiles, or did a stats -s every so often and looked
>>for lines that had DCD high would be useful.

Call your vendor and ask them to implement an Internet standard network
management protocol -- SNMP.  Remind them that their competition (cisco)
already has it.  We too are "stuck" with annexes that don't fit into
our net management environment as well as our ciscos and Unix hosts
and I intend to make this same request.

/a
PS: We went with Annexes primarily for RDP with our Encores.

loverso@Xylogics.COM (John Robert LoVerso) (10/12/89)

In article <1889@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> alan@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Alan Crosswell) writes:
> Call your vendor and ask them to implement an Internet standard network
> management protocol -- SNMP...

Possibly `old' news, but Xylogics was demo'ing the X5.0 software release
at InterOP89 last week, with (among other things) an SNMP agent and a
first cut private enterprise tree.

`X' stands for `experimental'; essientally a pre-alpha version.  Current
schedules call for R5.0 to be released (by Xylogics) in Q1'90.

--
John Robert LoVerso			Xylogics, Inc.  617/272-8140
loverso@Xylogics.COM			Annex Terminal Server Development Group

jdh@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jason Heirtzler) (10/12/89)

>Possibly `old' news, but Xylogics was demo'ing the X5.0 software release
>at InterOP89 last week, with (among other things) an SNMP agent and a
>first cut private enterprise tree.
>
>`X' stands for `experimental'; essientally a pre-alpha version.

Experienced annex users realize you're actually referring to the "X" in
the name Xylogics..

Jason Heirtzler           (617) 353-2780       jdh@bu-it.bu.edu
Information Technology    Boston University    ..!harvard!bu-cs!bu-it!jdh