[comp.sys.encore] encore hoststation

dm@Think.COM (dave mankins) (10/31/89)

I'm looking for info about the Encore Hoststation.  I think it is a
terminal, usable through an RS232 line.  Does anyone have information about
what escape sequences it uses?

A tube that big must have some form of multi-windowing capability ---
scrolling regions at least, is this true?

Also, I'm looking for a keyboard for it.

thanks,
david mankins (dm@think.com)

brennan@merk.UUCP (Rich Brennan) (11/10/89)

In article <7588@xenna.Xylogics.COM> loverso@Xylogics.COM (John Robert LoVerso) writes:

>You won't find any more HostStations.  They are a long dead product;
>the only concentrations of them are at Encore and with the Annex group
>at Xylogics.

They were the worlds largest vt220. Had their own easily measurable
gravitational field. Hey, they were big, but they were slow!

>	      As they die, one by one, we give them a burial at sea.

  And people are worried about the melting polar caps raising the water
levels at the coasts! Tossing a couple of HostStations into the sea
should excite some people.

>The HostStation has a 19" screen, two/three rs232 ports, and used a
>VT220-style keyboard.

It also should has its own zipcode (bah dump bump).

Rumor has it that one recently fell off a desk in the Santa Cruz, CA.
area (bah dump bump).

Just kidding, all you alumni of Resolution....

Rich.
--
...!{uunet,linus!alliant}!merk!root			Rich Brennan

terryk@pinocchio (Terence Kelleher) (11/10/89)

I use a Hog, er Host Station at home for dial-in work.  It is even
better than a Bit-graph, in performance, screen size and heat
production.  Seems like every company I work for has a "terminal we
tried to build, but it didn't work out".

Too bad someone does not make a 132x60 vt220 that is reliable.  The
big screen size is wonderfull.  The 2 major drawbacks are I need to
maintain my own stock of spare power supplies and I need to turn in
the electric bill along with the phone bill for reimbursment :-)
--
Terry Kelleher, Encore Computer
Phone: 607-798-9602