[comp.sys.encore] Increasing number of inodes on file system

oneill@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Brian O'Neill) (11/18/89)

Is there any way of increasing the number of inodes for a file system
without increasing the size? I have a 16Mb tmp filesystem with 4100 inodes.
When our news feed arrives (Full feed via Telebit), it comes in faster than
it unbatches. The console reports "Out of inodes", and news reports "File
table full" and "Permission problems in directory /tmp". Rather than
increase the size of tmp (which is fine for our purposes), or use another
tmp directory elsewhere (requiring recompilation of news sources, which
people down the road may not be aware of), I would like to just increase the
number of inodes. Can it be done?

Brian O'Neill - Boston University Corporate Education Center, Tyngsboro, MA
UUCP:  {decvax|ulowell}!bu-tyng!oneill
Internet: oneill@bu-tyng.bu.edu                          (508) 649-9731 x14

loverso@Xylogics.COM (John Robert LoVerso) (11/20/89)

In article <2350@bu-tyng.bu.edu> oneill@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Brian O'Neill) writes:
> Is there any way of increasing the number of inodes for a file system
> without increasing the size? I have a 16Mb tmp filesystem with 4100 inodes.
> When our news feed arrives (Full feed via Telebit), it comes in faster than
> it unbatches. The console reports "Out of inodes", and news reports "File
> table full" and "Permission problems in directory /tmp".

Make sure you check "df -i" before rebuilding any file systems.  The
messages "Out of Inodes" and "File table full" on the console without
filesystem qualifier indicate the incode inode table has filled.  The
solution for that is to use sysparam to up the numbers for the system.
Unfortuneately, sometimes I have a feeling that the limits set in sysparam
aren't reached before the console message appears (i.e., something else
is a limitting factor).

John
--
John Robert LoVerso			Xylogics, Inc.  617/272-8140
loverso@Xylogics.COM			Annex Terminal Server Development Group

naresh@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Naresh Dharnidharka) (11/27/89)

In article <2350@bu-tyng.bu.edu> oneill@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Brian O'Neill) writes:
>Is there any way of increasing the number of inodes for a file system
>without increasing the size? I have a 16Mb tmp filesystem with 4100 inodes.
>When our news feed arrives (Full feed via Telebit), it comes in faster than
>it unbatches. The console reports "Out of inodes", and news reports "File
>table full" and "Permission problems in directory /tmp". Rather than
>increase the size of tmp (which is fine for our purposes), or use another
>tmp directory elsewhere (requiring recompilation of news sources, which
>people down the road may not be aware of), I would like to just increase the
>number of inodes. Can it be done?
>
>--
>Brian O'Neill - Boston University Corporate Education Center, Tyngsboro, MA
>UUCP:  {decvax|ulowell}!bu-tyng!oneill
>Internet: oneill@bu-tyng.bu.edu                          (508) 649-9731 x14

In order to increase the number of inodes on a filesystem you have to
rebuild your filesystem. If you decide to do so and you're running
Umax 4.2 release 3.3 then invoke "create_fs" with the following options:

	create_fs -c 8 -i 512 /dev/filesystem

This reduces the number of cylinders/group from 16 to 8 and specifies
512 bytes/inode. This should effectively double the number of inodes on
your filesystem.

If you're running Umax 4.3 beta 4.0 then you can invoke "mkfs" as follows:

	mkfs /dev/filesystem <size in sectors> 32 16 8192 1024 8 10 60 512 t

All options other than the number of cylinders/group and bytes/inode are
the default options.

#Naresh

Naresh Dharnidharka			Encore Computer Corporation
naresh@encore.com			(508)-460-0500 ext 2742
#Naresh