[net.micro] RAM

BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA (Bard Bloom) (09/17/85)

For the other side of all these messages about bad mail order places:
what are some good places to order things like 256K RAM chips?

Thanks,
  Bard @ mit-xx . arpa
-------

ejb@think.ARPA (Erik Bailey) (09/18/85)

In article <1544@brl-tgr.ARPA> BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA (Bard Bloom) writes:

>For the other side of all these messages about bad mail order places:
>what are some good places to order things like 256K RAM chips?
>
>Thanks,
>  Bard @ mit-xx . arpa
>-------

In my opinion, the best place to order ANY parts (incl. software &
complete systems) through mail order is PC Network. This is a
subscription-only orginazation (membership is about $20 for 1 year),
that gives UNBELIEVABLE prices on everything they sell. Their prices are
Wholesale + 8%. As an example, I ordered 512k of 256k chips (18), and
the total was about $65. Postpaid. They came in about three weeks, and
I've been delighted. They are selling brand-name diskettes (10) for
about $7 (Opus), and I got 2 boxes of those in about 1 week. Incidently
- let me use an example to show price changes. In the November 27 issue
of PC Magazine, 256k chips are listed @ $33 each, and 64k's (9 chips)
at $35.55. Not including 8%. I got my 256k's at $3.00 (plus 8%), and
64s are about $7 (+ 8%). Not bad...

Good luck! --Erik

A stupid disclaimer: I have absolutley **NOTHING** to do with
**ANYTHING** **ANYWHERE**. So don't sue me.

johnl@ima.UUCP (09/18/85)

>For the other side of all these messages about bad mail order places:
>what are some good places to order things like 256K RAM chips?

We (and lots of other net readers) have had excellent experience with these
people:

	Microprocessors Unlimited
	24000 S. Peoria Ave.
	Beggs OK 74221

	918-267-4961

There's no toll-free number, but their prices are so low it's worth paying
for the call.  They usually ship the same day, too.

John Levine, ima!johnl

sde@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (09/19/85)

Microprocessors Unlimited
Oklahoma (518-???-????)
Adv'd in back of various magazines.
I've dealt with them several times & have only good to report.
(On one occasion they erronously charged my credit card after getting my
check, but not only did they call my attention to the charge, they accepted
my collect phone call when I called them to rectify the error. They
immediately rectified it and did so with politeness and some signs of real
embarrassment at the mistake.)

David Eisenberg		sde@mitre-bedford
P.S. I intend to order more from them in the near future.

AALevy@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA (09/19/85)

In reference to the query on buying 256K chips,

Microprocessors Unlimited

918-267-4961

seems to get rave reviews and ships quickly.

Current price 256k is 2.75 (150ns) 3.75 (120ns)

Regards, Allan