[comp.sys.encore] Mach on the Encore

terryk@pinocchio (Terence Kelleher) (02/01/90)

In article <20428.633818635@G.GP.CS.CMU.EDU>, David.Black@G.GP writes:

>CMU looked into adding third party disks, but gave up.  The basic problem is
>that Encore's I/O architecture is based around a very intelligent controller
>[:-)], so adding an unknown device to the system requires new microcode for
>the controller [:-(].  Some of the SMD disks Encore sells are available in
>the secondary market, but the installation procedure is Encore-specific.
>One warning from CMU's experience with CDC disks; the error logs that come
>with the disks log everything that might be a defect.  In practice they're
>too long to cope with, so we've resorted to a 24-hour breakin period with
>the disk exerciser.  After remapping the defects that surface during this
>breakin, the disks seem to work just fine.
>
>--Dave

I think you may be dealing with an older system here.  The Multimax no
longer requires manual input of bad block lists.  It can read them off
the drive itself.  This is true for the SCSI disks and the SMD disks
on the NCR controllers.  An older controller from DTC did not properly
read the encoded data.

The format opperation is quite simple.  The controller is capable of
getting all important information from the disks and requires no user
input.

Encore does not recommend getting disks from other vendors and putting
them on your Multimax.  Of course, Encore would rather sell you the
disks, but also many disks that are available do not perform well
under high stress.  The Multimax is capable of sustained disk traffic
that causes serious problems in many disks.  In some cases the result
is a SCSI disk that hangs and holds the SCSI bus busy, preventing
other disk traffic.  This causes a system hang.
--
Terence Kelleher
Encore Computer Corporation